Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TecTXp1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2023
Hello everyone!

I have a 13" MacBook Pro from mid-2012 (2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 dual-core; 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3) and I'm undecided on which macOS will be best. As the last natively compatible version is Catalina - a now-discontinued software, with no more security updates and some applications whose latest versions are incompatible - I installed macOS Monterey with OpenCore. However, after 2 or 3 months, I went back to Catalina because the computer got too hot and the fans wouldn't stop all day. In the meantime, I changed the HDD to an SSD and now, as I see that the Mac with Catalina is quite fast, without overheating and, consequently, without the constant activation of the fan, I am in doubt whether I should put the Monterey with OpenCore back.

(Note: I am aware of the Mac Fan Control app, although I don't want to install it, as this will reduce the fan speed and therefore the noise it makes, but will also increase the temperature of the Mac, which can lead to overheating and damage to the internal components of the Mac).

On the other hand, when I was with the Monterey with OpenCore, I had the original HDD, and honestly, I found the Mac's performance to be considerably higher compared to the Catalina, also with the original HDD (maybe that's why it got so hot).

In addition, although I am looking for increased security and performance with Monterey, with OpenCore, I know that OpenCore partially disables System Integrity Protection, which reduces security considerably. On the other hand, I have the latest versions of all applications, which leads to increased security.

What do you think? Which version of macOS is the most suitable (with the best security/performance ratio) for this Mac? Should I stick with Catalina? Should I upgrade to Monterey with OpenCore? Is there any other better version?

Thanks

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
FYI, forum rules for your title.

“MacRumors is an English-language site, so we ask that posts in the forums be written in English.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.