Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
My comment was about the signing out of find my iPhone. Apple doesn’t want any lock, and backed up before accepting for service. They me replace your phone with refurb if needed. It’s been always the case.
This.

Its even stated on Apple's site:

Follow these steps before you bring your device to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or send it to Apple. Depending on whether you're bringing your device in or sending it, you can find additional steps in the next sections.

If your device is unresponsive or you otherwise can't complete some of the steps, do as many as you can. You might also be able to complete some steps on the web at your Apple ID account page.
  1. Back up your iPhone or iPad:
  2. Turn off Apple Cash and remove your cards and passes from Apple Wallet.
  3. Turn off Find My: Go to Settings > your name > Find My, then tap "Find My [Device]" and turn it off*.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Looks like we need to purchase directly from them rather than through a perhaps more secure MS Store or App Store.
Installers are signed by the company who made the software, meaning that it can't be manipulated by anyone else. Windows will show a big warning if they are not, and also if the software package isn't well-known (hasn't been installed often). Many large software publishers do not use the MS app store, because it has little or no benefits. Microsoft itself doesn’t even consistently publish all their Windows software on it.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
Hi, I am taking my iPhone 6S+ to an Apple store for possible battery replacement. According to Apple, we should backup the phone, log out from Apple ID account and reset it to factory settings to protect our personal information before giving it out. Without a Mac, what is the best way to backup the phone so that I could recover it to the current state after getting it back from Apple? I only have a Windows PC and no plan to pay for iCloud. Currently I have used about 95GB of storage.
iTunes backup.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
How is the "Apple Devices" app compared with iTunes? Has Apple changed from iTunes to Apple Devices?

iTunes does not show my phone icon and Apple Devices closes automatically quickly after launch.

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
As stated before, just download iTunes and make a backup. Be sure to choose the encrypted backup so absolutely *everything* is backed up.

Why choosing encrypted backup backups *everything*?
If unchecked, it won't backup everything?

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Few years ago I used iTunes on my Windows PC to back up my phone or ipad. Don't remember which. As I recall, I could not view the pictures. The files were saved in some sort of unfamiliar format.

Anybody successfully recovered their phone from iTunes Windows version?

By backup, I also mean backing up the settings in apps such as those SMS apps so that when I do a recovery, I can just use the phone as if I did not send it to Apple. In this context, is iTunes backup the same as cloning?
The pictures were probably in the HEIC format, a Windows image viewer that supports it probably would have done the trick.

mcled53

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2022
West of the Cascades
Doesn't Apple offer a temporarily larger quota specifically for phone upgrades? I could swear I read that somewhere...

edit: found it
Sure , you could save $3.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
Hi, I am taking my iPhone 6S+ to an Apple store for possible battery replacement. According to Apple, we should backup the phone, log out from Apple ID account and reset it to factory settings to protect our personal information before giving it out. Without a Mac, what is the best way to backup the phone so that I could recover it to the current state after getting it back from Apple? I only have a Windows PC and no plan to pay for iCloud. Currently I have used about 95GB of storage.
You can backup your phone the same way as you would a Mac by installing iTunes on Windows, as others have said. It's very simple. You'll need to set a password during the backup process to backup and restore anything encrypted on your phone, so don't forget the password you set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.