Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I am trying to learn to code (and eventually build iOS apps), but wasn’t sure what the best way to do it is...I have tried using the Swift playgrounds app, but wasn’t sure if there was a better option...

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Download XCode (if it's not already on your computer) and find some Swift tutorials. Jump in here, too, and see where you end up going:
https://developer.apple.com/library...x.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40015214-CH2-SW1

Go to sites like codecademy.com, freecodecamp.org, or udemy.com and follow along with their tutorials, too.

Go take a class at a local school or community college, or attend a coding boot camp.

IMO, it's important to learn alongside other people in the same room at some point. You can glean a lot from online resources, but it's a lot of "monkey see, monkey do" -- you can make things happen, but you might not realize why they happen. Being around other people can give you the chance to ask questions and get clarity much more quickly than usually happens in an online tutorial.

Reactions: millerj123

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
There are tons of tutorials and websites with samples ( eg: Cocoa Controls ) and great coding resource sites ( eg: Stack Overflow ) so you have lots of free help out here.

I suggest getting a small app written from scratch up and running so you see how it all hangs together.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
If books and tutorials on app development in Swift seem too difficult (which is common for many adults), you can always try the tutorials and educational software aimed at kids (any programming language). Once you finish that, the more advanced tutorials on app development will seem much easier.

Anksri

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2018
I am trying to learn to code (and eventually build iOS apps), but wasn’t sure what the best way to do it is...I have tried using the Swift playgrounds app, but wasn’t sure if there was a better option...
While it's impossible to teach you everything you need to know about coding in a single resource. It'll provide you with some helpful tips, information, and terminology that will allow you to decide whether or not coding is something you'd be interested in learning more about.
  1. Know the Five Basic Concepts: Variables, Control structures, Data structures, Syntax, Tools.
  2. Choose the Right Language: There are tons of different coding languages. The key is to choose the right one.
  3. Learn by Coding (Not Reading): If you don't play with the code right there and then, you'll never remember the syntax when you go to actually implement it for the first time.
  4. Understand the Fundamentals: The only way to develop a comprehensive understanding of coding is by first building a foundational knowledge of how and why programming does certain things.
  5. Try Coding by Hand: When you code by hand--as opposed to on the computer--you can't check to see if it's correct halfway through the process. As a result, you have to be more aware of what you're doing.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
This thread is getting old, but for those seeking an answer about where to start I think it always begins with a project idea.

Just learning to code "Hello World" is a bit boring and only gives some basics about how to use the tools and make a functioning app/program.

My suggestion is to get a project idea and figure out what it will take to make it work. For example; make an app that will record (sound or video), playback, save and get the file from the file system in the future for playback or modification.

Good luck, develop a passion for making the devices do your bidding and you will succeed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.