Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strob1cj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
I want to buy an Apple TV, but the harddrive space is just horrible. I was wondering if there is a solution to this problem because there is no way that I can fit all my movies on there. I own a Macbook pro and my budget is limited because I'm a student. Thanks.

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
Buy a large external hardrive

Rip the movies using handbrake and put the movies on the external hardrive and then stream your content from the laptop to ATV.

trule

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
I copy mine to a Time Capsule hard disk and then drag from there to iTunes (where copy file to library is disabled). iTunes sync then copies from TC to ATV via my iMac

Everything works fine.

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
I have my Mac Mini hooked up to a big drive and thats where all my iTunes content lives. EyeTV records then sends content to iTunes, and when I turn on my Apple TV, I can see it there.

You might want to buy the largest external drive you can afford and hook that up to your MBP, stream the content off there to your Apple TV. $100 will get you a decent sized FW drive (250 gigs, or if you look hard enough, maybe 500 gig).

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Instead of streaming, you could also hook your external drive directly to yout atv (after patching) and access your files from there without having to go through iTunes.
That is how I do it and it works great.

marklight

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2006
Instead of streaming, you could also hook your external drive directly to yout atv (after patching) and access your files from there without having to go through iTunes.
That is how I do it and it works great.

hey tom can you send me some info on how to do this? also I've sent you pm asking you for some other info. i've been trying to figure out a way to hook up an external directly to the apple tv.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I have my Mac Mini hooked up to a big drive and thats where all my iTunes content lives. EyeTV records then sends content to iTunes, and when I turn on my Apple TV, I can see it there.

You might want to buy the largest external drive you can afford and hook that up to your MBP, stream the content off there to your Apple TV. $100 will get you a decent sized FW drive (250 gigs, or if you look hard enough, maybe 500 gig).

I just bought a WD My Book at $200 for a terabyte. I think the "older" models are dropping down because they're "rebranding." Whatever. It's a terabyte, runs at 7200rpm, has the buffer. Works good so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.