Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koni17

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
I recently purchased a WiFi 6 Router (TP-Link Archer AX50) and have set up my HomeKit devices with it (HomePod Mini acting as a hub, Philips Hue lights, LG TV and Logitech Circle View camera connected).

I am having some major reliability issues, especially with the HomePod not responding, and have tried everything possible within the WiFi settings, as well as factory resetting the HomePod and many other supposed fixes, without any positive results. After searching online for different fixes I believe the probable source is the router.

Eero seems to be one of the favourites, however the eero 6 line does not support HomeKit secure and it's hard to believe them that this will ever be implemented. I also don't think HomeKit secure is a necessity, so with that in mind, any stable WiFi 6 router would suffice.

For those of you who already have a WiFi 6 router for your HomeKit setup, what would you recommend?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I use an eero Pro 6 as my main router, connected direct to a Verizon FiOS modem with a few eero pro mesh points. I’ve been satisfied so far aside from some hiccups involving too many mesh points. Im not a huge fan of HomeKit secure routers though, which I had connected before I got the eero Pro 6. Some devices don’t play nice with it and need them to be set to No restriction. Off the top of my head, the Wemo mini smart plugs and Ecobee 3 lite gave me issues with that.

Why wouldn’t you believe that they will add Homekit Routers to the eero 6? They added it to the prior original eero and eero Pro.

Koni17

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
Amazon doesn't have the greatest track record with integrating Homekit in their devices. Even if eero has said they are integrating it, I wouldn't hold my breath for the update - they have communicated for months that it's apparently in the certification process, so it all seems a bit suspect. I wouldn't be surprised if the original eero is the last with HomeKit integration, since they had probably planned that long before Amazon bought eero.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Amazon doesn't have the greatest track record with integrating Homekit in their devices. Even if eero has said they are integrating it, I wouldn't hold my breath for the update - they have communicated for months that it's apparently in the certification process, so it all seems a bit suspect. I wouldn't be the surprised if the original eero is the last with HomeKit integration, since they had probably planned that long before Amazon bought eero.
Fair enough but the HomeKit integration with the older generation definitely came after Amazon acquired them. I don’t have reason to believe they won’t add it, but I wouldn’t ever make a purchase based only on a promise either. Alexa devices were never on the HomeKit Radar. I believe Ring made that empty promise before they were acquired by Amazon. Who knows? Lol. FWIW, the eero does support Thread which is the latest trend in smart home connectivity.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I'm using an Amplifi Alien and it seems to work great (meaning I have no problems). I have two AppleTVs, two Homepods, two HomePods Mini, a Withings Wifi scale, and 13 Hue bulbs.

clarencek

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
I have a eero 6 with four nodes. Works well with 5 HomePods a hue bridge. I’ve been very happy with it and it’s been pretty issue free given the 30+ devices that use it daily.

Koni17

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
Fair enough but the HomeKit integration with the older generation definitely came after Amazon acquired them. I don’t have reason to believe they won’t add it, but I wouldn’t ever make a purchase based only on a promise either. Alexa devices were never on the HomeKit Radar. I believe Ring made that empty promise before they were acquired by Amazon. Who knows? Lol. FWIW, the eero does support Thread which is the latest trend in smart home connectivity.
Yea, it is interesting that it supports Thread as well. Although now I have a HomePod Mini and a new Apple TV 4k coming soon that will also support Thread - so I had a look at what devices actually use Thread. There's a few from Nanoleaf and Eve, however altogether there is not that many on the market at all. I feel like this is tech that is going to take a long time to establish itself. The devices must not only have Thread but also HomeKit integration, let's hope it catches on soon. It won't be replacing my Zigbee Hue lightbulbs anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.