Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
This has probably been addressed many times in the past but I'm ready to buy and there are many more models on the market now, so I need your help.

I was really eying the ClamCase Pro but reading some online user reports it has a tendency to crack after moderate use.

Solid connection and a keyboard with a great typing experience are of course primary considerations. I'm not tied to a price so that's not a real factor.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Well my new ZAGG Slim book arrived today. This this is a really nice setup. The only thing I that would have made me like it more, would be if the Keyboard was aluminun rather than silver plastic. It looks like alumnun but it's not.

Typing is really good, not quite as good as my Mac Pro keyboard, but it's not too far behind. I think this was a good choice for me. It's awesome.

I am in the same dilemma as you were.
From the USA amazon store, there are two models: ID6ZF2-BBA listed as the newest model, the one you ordered,
and the ID6ZF2-BB0 as the old model, listed as discontinued by manufacturer.
http://www.amazon.com/ZAGG-Ultrathi...7351553&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=SKU:+ID6ZF2-BB0

I noticed that the newer model [ID6ZF2-BBA] has much better reviews,
The older model, had loads of issues with the hinge breaking, cracked.

The newer model [ID6ZF2-BB0.] is unfortunately not available from the zagg uk store.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I am in the same dilemma as you were.
From the USA amazon store, there are two models: ID6ZF2-BBA listed as the newest model, the one you ordered,
and the ID6ZF2-BB0 as the old model, listed as discontinued by manufacturer.
http://www.amazon.com/ZAGG-Ultrathin-Detachable-Backlit-Keyboard/dp/B00P7TQTZE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437351553&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=SKU:+ID6ZF2-BB0

I noticed that the newer model [ID6ZF2-BBA] has much better reviews,
The older model, had loads of issues with the hinge breaking, cracked.

The newer model [ID6ZF2-BB0.] is unfortunately not available from the zagg uk store.

Ouch! You definitely want the newer model. I avoided the model with the cracking issue. That's one reason it took me so long to finally get one. I would send an email to ZAGG and ask them where this can be purchased in the UK.

If this one hadn't been available, I'd have purchased the QUODE. It's not a clamshell design but it is a very good unit. i couldn't find any creditable negatives with regard to quality or function. It's just that I personally prefer the clamshell design.

Last edited:
Ouch! You definitely want the newer model. I avoided the model with the cracking issue. That's one reason it took me so long to finally get one. I would send an email to ZAGG and ask them where this can be purchased in the UK.

If this one hadn't been available, I'd have purchased the QUODE. It's not a clamshell design but it is a very good unit. i couldn't find any creditable negatives with regard to quality or function. It's just that I personally prefer the clamshell design.

Thanks, i e-mailed Zagg, my first e-mail was a generic interest in the case, they replied immediately, i then asked re the newer model and gave them the amazon link, no reply.

My second choice is the:
Belkin QODE Ultimate Pro V3 for iPad Air 2
My main concern with this case, is whether it is as sturdy as the zag, and whether it would remain functional in different conditions: lying on my bed, on my laps, or on a train.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OPY01...lid=32O90HOPY0B29&coliid=I3PVMZ1CPGG11B&psc=1

I also noticed this case has had excellent reviews.
Snugg™ 360° Rotatable Keyboard Case Ultra Slim Keyboard Case (Red) For Apple iPad Air 2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U8PF6...lid=32O90HOPY0B29&coliid=I1JAXHSXXT0YYW&psc=1

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Thanks, i e-mailed Zagg, my first e-mail was a generic interest in the case, they replied immediately, i then asked re the newer model and gave them the amazon link, no reply.

My second choice is the:
Belkin QODE Ultimate Pro V3 for iPad Air 2
My main concern with this case, is whether it is as sturdy as the zag, and whether it would remain functional in different conditions: lying on my bed, on my laps, or on a train.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OPY01...lid=32O90HOPY0B29&coliid=I3PVMZ1CPGG11B&psc=1

I also noticed this case has had excellent reviews.
Snugg™ 360° Rotatable Keyboard Case Ultra Slim Keyboard Case (Red) For Apple iPad Air 2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U8PF6...lid=32O90HOPY0B29&coliid=I1JAXHSXXT0YYW&psc=1

I looked at that case too, but the quality is questionable at best. Reports of wobbling hinge and plastic breakage swore me off. I type a lot so "Desktop" mode is very important for me. I would continue to pester belkin until I got an answer. If like me you require a hinged design, I'd go with the ClamCase Pro. Not everyone has trouble with cracking but their customer service is world class if the problem dose come up.

starbucks1222

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
Antioch, CA
I finally had to upgrade my Ipad 2 - just picked up the Ipad Air 2. Now trying to find a great protective keyboard case. I ordered the ZAGG Slim book, and didn't like it when it arrived. I'm looking at the ClamCase Pro but have read a lot of negative reviews. I've attached a photo of the case I had for my Ipad 2 that I LOVED. It survived drops without a scratch to my ipad. Am I just missing a nice protective case like this one for the Air 2?
339428-zagg-zaggfolio.jpg

Reactions: johnnyturbouk

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I finally had to upgrade my Ipad 2 - just picked up the Ipad Air 2. Now trying to find a great protective keyboard case. I ordered the ZAGG Slim book, and didn't like it when it arrived. I'm looking at the ClamCase Pro but have read a lot of negative reviews. I've attached a photo of the case I had for my Ipad 2 that I LOVED. It survived drops without a scratch to my ipad. Am I just missing a nice protective case like this one for the Air 2? View attachment 570792

Yeah, that's a great case. I have it on my iPad 3. The slim book for the air 2 is great too, but not so protective like that one. I really liked the ClamCase Pro, but like you there are just too many negative reports about cracking around the hinge area. For that reason, the slim book was my choice. There are others, but none of the have the keyboard quality as the ClamCase or the slim book. The QUODE is a great case too, but very different from the clamshell design (that's why I passed over it).

Last edited:

starbucks1222

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
Antioch, CA
Yeah, that's a great case. I have it on my iPad 3. The slim book for the air 2 is great too, but not so protective like that one. I really liked the ClamCase Pro, but like you there are just too many negative reports about cracking around the hinge area. For that reason, the slim book was my choice. There are others, but none of the have the keyboard qualkty as the ClamCase or the slim book. The QUODE is a great case too, but very different from the clamshell design (that's why I passed over it).

I returned the Slimbook to Amazon, had it on for 10 mins. Did not like it at all. My local Best Buy has the ClamCase in stock, will have to go check it out this weekend. Hopefully it will fit my needs. Thank you for your help.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I returned the Slimbook to Amazon, had it on for 10 mins. Did not like it at all. My local Best Buy has the ClamCase in stock, will have to go check it out this weekend. Hopefully it will fit my needs. Thank you for your help.

Cool... Everyone's needs / tastes are different. The ClamCase is a real looker and has a very gook keyboard. Let know how it works out if you get that one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.