Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Anybody know?
518082cbde4b3c0fd7eb24240e9d6f07.jpg

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Interesting. I've never seen "Set Up Face ID with a Mask for Alternate Appearance" before, and can't find anything on the internet about it either. (I've only seen it as "Set Up an Alternate Appearance".)

What iPhone do you have and what iOS version are you running? It's not on an old beta version, is it?

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Interesting. I've never seen "Set Up Face ID with a Mask for Alternate Appearance" before, and can't find anything on the internet about it either. (I've only seen it as "Set Up an Alternate Appearance".)

What iPhone do you have and what iOS version are you running? It's not on an old beta version, is it?

iPhone 15 running 17.3 but I've seen this setting for the past few months. Also see it on my wife's 15 Pro.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
"ID with a mask" setting tick box just above Reset Face ID has been in IOS for quite some time. Problem during Covid for those wearing masks previously.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
This just seems odd to me since there's nothing documented or even other people talking about it. Curious if it shows up this way for others with the iPhone 15, maybe it's new?

Based on your screenshot, my interpretation would be that the toggle is a little less secure since it only pays attention to the area around your eyes. The second option would be training Face ID with a mask on, so it knows what you look like without a mask and what you look like with a mask. (Face ID can store two facial profiles, and doesn't even need to be the same face.)

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
This just seems odd to me since there's nothing documented or even other people talking about it. Curious if it shows up this way for others with the iPhone 15, maybe it's new?

Based on your screenshot, my interpretation would be that the toggle is a little less secure since it only pays attention to the area around your eyes. The second option would be training Face ID with a mask on, so it knows what you look like without a mask and what you look like with a mask. (Face ID can store two facial profiles, and doesn't even need to be the same face.)

I agree that it's odd. And I agree with your interpretation of it. I was just hoping somebody could point me to something official.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The first option enables your existing primary Face-ID-registered appearance to work with a mask. The second option is for setting up a new, independent second appearance, which can be a completely different person (or you with a wig or mustache), and also enable "mask support" for them.

Viridian5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2023
I have two appearances - me with glasses as #1 and me without glasses as #2. Tick box option would add mask recognition to face #1 (or perhaps both), while the blue words would only add it for face #2. But I agree that it’s a dumb layout and very confusing

Frixos

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2020
I have two appearances - me with glasses as #1 and me without glasses as #2. Tick box option would add mask recognition to face #1 (or perhaps both), while the blue words would only add it for face #2. But I agree that it’s a dumb layout and very confusing
Why do you have those two are two separate appearances when there’s the option to add you with glasses to the first appearance?

Attachments

• IMG_8240.jpeg
    IMG_8240.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 57

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Who cares, it's not that you ever gonna use mask again… but if you must know the difference, then the second blue option is when you having mustache under your mask.

• Haha
Reactions: Jada34

Frixos

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2020
Who cares, it's not that you ever gonna use mask again… but if you must know the difference, then the second blue option is when you having mustache under your mask.
It’s actually helpful when I wear a jacket that covers my chin and mouth (due to the chilly wind).

Reactions: Jutah and klasma

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

Not necessarily true! Wearing masks in public may be a new thing in western countries but in the east people are used to it and a lot of people wear them regularly while commuting or being outside.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Not necessarily true! Wearing masks in public may be a new thing in western countries but in the east people are used to it and a lot of people wear them regularly while commuting or being outside.
I still wear them out of the house when it’s cold and I’m sick. It’s more comfortable than breathing the cold air, and probably also helps to not spread the cold. So yes the Face ID mask option remains useful.

Viridian5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2023
Why do you have those two are two separate appearances when there’s the option to add you with glasses to the first appearance?
Huh. That doesn’t come up for me, but I don’t have the mask recognition setting on either so maybe it’s part of that.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
It has been some time since this feature was revealed. Face ID with a mask works quite well on my 13.
However, it only supports 12 or newer.

Reactions: canuckRus

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Anybody know?
518082cbde4b3c0fd7eb24240e9d6f07.jpg
iPhone 15 running 17.3 but I've seen this setting for the past few months. Also see it on my wife's 15 Pro.
Not on my 15 Pro Max running iOS 17.3:

E602A778-139B-4438-887F-763937BF9CB2.JPG

Do you have an Apple Watch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.