Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Just wondering what this globe icon is when I go to copy and paste. It looks very similar to the globe icon for an international keyboard but when I hit it, it just pops the selected text up in a blue box. What is the point of this feature?

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Ok, here are some pics of what I am talking about. If I am asking a stupid question then ole well, I just want to know. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo_1.PNG
    photo_1.PNG
    440.6 KB · Views: 348
  • photo_2.PNG
    photo_2.PNG
    272.6 KB · Views: 284

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I have never gotten that icon before. But I am interested in what app the web browser is.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Huh, interesting. I don't know what I could have done to turn this "feature" on. It is in both safari and atomic web browser. Atomic browser is the best btw. The orange color is changeable to a bunch of different colors. It comes with black by default. :D Wonder if this globe function is some type of accessibility feature.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
TraceyS/FL said:
I went and check my atomic and didn't have it there, and couldn't find what it might be in accessibility either.

I'm perplexed! :confused:

No it's in safari as well. I also checked the Accessibility section and not there. I thought at first it was kind of cool dictionary type feature...... Not a pop up. :(

mlad1101

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Not sure if this is of any help but I have that icon on my keyboard on my iPhone. I believe it has something to do with app for sending emoticons on my phone.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Not sure if this is of any help but I have that icon on my keyboard on my iPhone. I believe it has something to do with app for sending emoticons on my phone.

Yeah that's for emoji using the Japanese keyboard. Don't have any international keyboards enabled on my iPad and have rebooted as well. Still there.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
mcdj said:
Do you have a jailbroken iPhone? Did you set up the iPad as new, or as a restore from an iphone backup?

Yes, have a jail broken phone as well. iPad was set up at apple store and backed up on computer at home. Thanks.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
ntrigue said:
You must have a different setting under International keyboards.

kbgerman.jpg

All I have for keyboards is English. I did at one time have a Spanish one, but that was removed. I have rebooted, everything I can think of. I won't restore as it's just not big of a deal to me. Just thought it was interesting. Maybe it a bug if you add/remove a international keyboard. With that said, I still don't know why that would add a function to the select text options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.