Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
What is the industry standard if any for minimal download speed so 4g lte or 5g is usable at least for simple things ? If there is no industry standard what is yours ?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
On ze German autobahn (in a metropolitan area) it even drops from LTE to EDGE!
So I would take even 1 Mbit over nothing.
That ensures online navigation, usable browsing, Siri and facetime (although not too great).
o2 Telefonica
And at the same time they are talking about multiple Gbit speeds in cities… I‘d prefer a 100% stable coverage.

Reactions: arkitect and max2

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
That ensures online navigation, usable browsing, Siri and facetime (although not too great.).
o2 Telefonica

Interesting. How fast are you normally going ?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Interesting. How fast are you normally going ?
120 km/h 😆
I just tested, even in my suburb I get 50 Mbit down, 25 Mbit up (I have the slowest contract there is, don‘t need more on my phone).
It‘s the 100% coverage that all providers lack. But bragging about their top speeds, that they can.

edit: After using up the high speed traffic, my mother‘s cell phone contract only drops to 1 Mbit (instead of the usual 64 kbit). That is still surprisingly usable for necessary stuff. That’s why I mentioned that number.
I remember up to 480p for youtube was still possible.

Last edited:

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
120 km/h 😆
I just checked, even in my suburb I get 50 Mbit down, 25 Mbit up.
It‘s the 100% coverage that all providers lack. But bragging about their top speeds, that they can.

Cool.

Not bad speed.

Yep your right 100% coverage is what all providers do not have. At least not yet :(

I wish it was possible to get like 100 Mbps no matter where you were but I know that will never happen.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
What provider(s) do you use ?
For many years I used AT&T. The average speeds were good, rarely dropped to single digit download speeds. For the past couple of years, I have been using Mint Mobile (an MVNO piggybacked on T-Mobile’s network). The overall coverage in this rural area is better and the plans are significantly cheaper. However, like most other MVNOs, Mint’s customers are at the back of the line regarding network priority. Frankly, I am okay with that as I don’t need broadband/high-speed access on the go. Nonetheless, as @arw stated “I would take even 1 Mbit over nothing."

Reactions: arw and max2

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
as long as everything is working i dont really care about the speed...be it 1mbps or 100mbps.but in Indonesia its tricky,it goes down to 200kbps+...

aries81

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2021
That ensures online navigation, usable browsing, Siri and facetime (although not too great).
o2 Telefonica
And at the same time they are talking about multiple Gbit speeds in cities… I‘d prefer a 100% stable coverage.

well that's Germany for you. When it comes to all things internet, we're still stuck in the 90s.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
For me, in mobile connectivity, latency and ping are more important than plain speed. Even 1mbps is good enough for browsing etc, as long as the latency is good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.