Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac1z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2021
Hi everyone, I was reading an article about the new USB 2.1 spec and how it can power up to 240 watts using just a single USB-C cable. I read that the USB organization said that the new spec should be arriving in laptops by the end of this year. What do you guys think the likelihood of the spec ending up in the new m1x 14" and 16" MacBook pros is? I feel like it would be useful for professional workloads. Curious to get your opinion.

This is the article:
USB-C is about to go from 100W to 240W, enough to power beefier laptops - The Verge

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Given that the largest MacBook Pro with power hungry Intel uses 96 watts, with the smaller one just around 60 or so, I am not sure if they will bump up the power to 200 watts.

It would require a larger adapter, and Apple hates making things bigger. I am also not sure an Apple Silicon chip would need anywhere close to that amount of power to run at its full capability. Not to mention, Apple hates putting version 1 of things into their products. They are late adopters of new tech.

As for faster charging times, I don't think that's too big of a priority for Apple and I am not sure many users care. Would it be nice to charge my laptop in 15-30 minutes from 0 to 100%? Sure.

But my laptop rarely drops below 50%, and it seems an hour or two on the charger while I am having a meal and relaxing a bit seems to top it off well enough. Even if I have only 30% left, thats still good for 4 hours of productivity, maybe more. So I don't see the practical necessity of faster charging -- in short, charging times on MacBooks aren't a pain point for the vast majority of users.

I think as any advancements, they will show up eventually on Apple devices, but I don't see that happening for a while.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I don’t see any chance at all for the new MBP to have higher TDP than the Intel Models, so 100W should be more than sufficient to charge them. Apple Silicon is two to three times more energy efficient than other hardware, so if anything, the TDP will probably go down slightly.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
It would require a larger adapter, and Apple hates making things bigger. I am also not sure an Apple Silicon chip would need anywhere close to that amount of power to run at its full capability. Not to mention, Apple hates putting version 1 of things into their products. They are late adopters of new tech.
That's the main thing I hate about a lot of laptops, obscenely large power adapters, The biggest I have is 130W, I can't imaging lugging around a 240!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.