Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How old are you?

• I'm still waiting for my 16th birthday.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I'm between 16 and 21

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I'm between 21 and 28

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I'm between 28 and 35

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I'm between 35 and 45

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • I'm between 45 and 55

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • I'm older than 55

Votes: 19 21.1%

• Total voters

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
You should add an “I don’t have a Mac Pro” option for people who want to see the results. Otherwise they will pick a random selection and this might mess up the poll results.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I'm just interested to see what the Apple Silicon Mac Pro has to offer. I'm NOT going to buy one though, for three reasons:
  1. I can't afford a $6000 machine
  2. I don't want/need it
  3. The next Mac I'm going to get is probably a Mac Studio, because the base model is actually a good deal
I'm also a "participant" of the Mac Pro forum because I own a 5,1 and sometimes have questions about it.

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
You should add an “I don’t have a Mac Pro” option for people who want to see the results. Otherwise they will pick a random selection and this might mess up the poll results.
I'm not sure I follow. None of the options ask if you own a Mac Pro. The poll can be viewed without voting, and you don't need a Mac Pro to vote.

It's a pretty open question: if you are at least a semi-regular on this forum (own a Mac Pro, or if you're simply interested in the computer to the point that you at least post occasionally)—what is your age?

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
My Mac Pros (two 2008 and two 2010) are all showing their age against the more recent iMacs I own. I'm waiting on the new AS Mac Pro to see if I want to upgrade to one from my cMPs. I didn't jump on the 2019 Mac Pro mainly because of the price, but if the asMP has stratospherically high prices I'll probably get a used/refurb 2019 when the prices drop after the asMP release. If Apple regains its senses and releases a larger Mx iMac at a more reasonable price than the asMP then I may just ditch the MPs altogether since they'll all come with locked down RAM and SSDs anyway and with enough TB ports I wouldn't need slots anymore.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I'm not sure I follow. None of the options ask if you own a Mac Pro. The poll can be viewed without voting, and you don't need a Mac Pro to vote.

It's a pretty open question: if you are at least a semi-regular on this forum (own a Mac Pro, or if you're simply interested in the computer to the point that you at least post occasionally)—what is your age?
I guess I got confused by the poll. My fault. My initial understanding of the question was if you own a Mac Pro, what is your age? The actual question from my understanding now is if you frequent the Mac Pro form, what is your age?

Maybe I just need another cup of coffee 😂

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I’m in my 30s, but I don’t think it matters how old people are. So I’m not answering the poll. I don’t understand what useful information could be obtained from it.

But I think three categories would be good enough.

-Young (teens & 20s)
-Middle aged (30s to 55ish)
-Senior (55ish+)

Age literally means nothing to me. I have friends in their 20s to 80s. The older ones tend be a little slower and the younger ones tend be more crazy and out of control, but so can the older ones lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macschrauber

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
I’m in my 30s, but I don’t think it matters how old people are. So I’m not answering the poll. I don’t understand what useful information could be obtained from it.

But I think three categories would be good enough.

-Young (teens & 20s)
-Middle aged (30s to 55ish)
-Senior (55ish+)

Age literally means nothing to me. I have friends in their 20s to 80s. The older ones tend be a little slower and the younger ones tend be more crazy and out of control, but so can the older ones lol.
Well, for not caring about age, I found it interesting that you:

Won't answer how old you are, just after saying you're in your 30's.
Don't understand what useful information can come from knowing age, which you follow up by suggesting your own poll categories.
Saying that age means nothing to you, and then directly follow that up by characterising old and young people differently (even if you say there is cross-over).

Hey-if. you're not interested in the poll, you don't have to take part. I don't think I used up the last 'new thread' so the cost-of-asking felt pretty low.

I realise this can be read as 'poking right back at you', but I don't think we need to enter into a discussion over it.

I'm curious, that's all.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
What makes you curious though? We can make generalizations about people based on age, but those generalizations are not always true. Some people like to associate more with people close to their age due to an evolutionary tribal instinct, but I argue we have the capacity to think beyond that. But I also argue it’s a more recent categoricalization because the social groups of our ancestors included young and old. Village elders had a more important role, while our modern society favors youth. I think that’s mostly due to capitalism (marketing a youthful lifestyle is more profitable).

However, there are experiments currently that show how interactions between age groups is beneficial, such as combining an elementary school with a senior residential facility.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Its interesting poll because it does provide insight into the target audience. I noticed a much older demographic suggests its likely used by high income professionals in the creative fields who need the raw power it offers. The younger demographic which is quite small suggest: enthusiast, high allowances, live in the Hamptons, crown princes/princesses.

I would love to own one, but they are really expensive for what I do with a computer. It would just be a glorified YouTube machine and Macrumors forum posts. Not to mention, they are darn heavy!

Reactions: Ruftzooi

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
I think this poll does more to show the age of people who use this forum than anything else. My experience is most people younger than me are on Discord/reddit/etc., and not really on specific forums any more.

Reactions: Ruftzooi

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
I think this poll does more to show the age of people who use this forum than anything else.
And that is the only question asked. It's not trying to answer "what's the age of Mac Pro owners", or anything like that.

It's not scientific. One can have many reservations if one wants to draw conclusions from the data. Not everyone wants to answer a poll like this. We've already seen some objections above. Maybe people with objections aren't equally distributed over the age groups? Maybe older people LIKE to answer—giving a bias that way?

The only thing the poll shows is: the people who chose to answer, chose these answers.

Are people lying? Are liars equally distributed over the age groups, canceling each other out?

For equally minded curious people: enjoy with care. 😊

Thanks to those who chose to participate!

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
And that is the only question asked. It's not trying to answer "what's the age of Mac Pro owners", or anything like that.

It's not scientific. One can have many reservations if one wants to draw conclusions from the data. Not everyone wants to answer a poll like this. We've already seen some objections above. Maybe people with objections aren't equally distributed over the age groups? Maybe older people LIKE to answer—giving a bias that way?

The only thing the poll shows is: the people who chose to answer, chose these answers.

Are people lying? Are liars equally distributed over the age groups, canceling each other out?

For equally minded curious people: enjoy with care. 😊

Thanks to those who chose to participate!

You can't draw conclusions about the data. Not any more than you could if you asked about another meaningless metric such as race, gender, or religion.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
That must make for an interesting dating life. ;)
Oh, we're going to talk about dating now. I do have an ideal age range for that, but it depends on the person. Hot is hot, not is not. ;) I'm not one of those people who puts "don't talk to me if you're over 30" in my online dating profiles. In our internet connected environment it's easy to turn people into impersonal metrics without thinking about how people are more than that. They are human beings with feelings, desires, and qualities that cannot be measured in easily quantifiable ways.

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
You can't draw conclusions about the data.
I feel I can draw a conclusion about how old people are, that chose to answer in the poll that you only see if you come to this forum.

Not any more than you could if you asked about another meaningless metric such as race, gender, or religion.
Age is very measurable and easy to understand. Race, gender and religion seems pretty clear cut to me as well, be it by someone's own choice or otherwise.

A truly meaningless metric would be something that couldn't really be measured in easily quantifiable ways.

They are human beings with feelings, desires, and qualities that cannot be measured in easily quantifiable ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.