Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhershberger

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2018
Ohio
It's the back of the speaker, likely the bass driver. It doesn't touch your temples so it's not bone conducting. I don't know if this comprises the whole speaker or if there is a high frequency driver inside the folded part of the audio chamber, but the metal plate makes up, at least in part, the unit's speaker. If you touch it while audio is playing you can feel it vibrate to the sound.

Edit: It possibly could also be the front of a full-range driver, with the chamber on the outside of the strap acting as a ported enclosure to enhance the bass response. Whatever it is, it is clearly a speaker.

IMG_6900.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: someone33

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Good question. With most Apple products I spend a lot of time looking at them and appreciating the build quality. With Vision Pro I just put them on and haven’t spent much time actually looking at the device.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
If it used bone conduction, why are there so many mic's? I'm going with support and sound characteristics. Consider how speaker cabinets impact sound. When you pay for expensive speakers for your home audio setup, sure, many have better drivers, crossovers, etc, but you are really paying for the cabinet. Similar concept here? Think high possibility.

someone33

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Thanks guys, I’ve been looking at different adapters to add another solo band and unfortunately the main one I was looking at covers that metal plate. Probably not ideal since I use the speakers.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Thanks guys, I’ve been looking at different adapters to add another solo band and unfortunately the main one I was looking at covers that metal plate. Probably not ideal since I use the speakers.

I don’t think covering the metal plate will cause issues. Only the holes pointed to your ears. If the solutions are low cost, couldn’t hurt to try them out.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Just a heads-up that that exact part was causing significant glare in my unit.

The light seal I have leaves a tiny gap at the corner of the eyes. I even see some glare without the AVP even turned on.

When trying to get to the bottom of it, I finally managed to trace it to light reflecting off this part and into the headset.

I taped two small pieces of black cloth to cover it up, and it’s made a huge improvement.

If you want to test whether this part is also causing glare in your unit, simply slip your fingers in between it and the edge of the light seal - you might be surprised at the effect…

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Just a heads-up that that exact part was causing significant glare in my unit.

The light seal I have leaves a tiny gap at the corner of the eyes. I even see some glare without the AVP even turned on.

When trying to get to the bottom of it, I finally managed to trace it to light reflecting off this part and into the headset.

I taped two small pieces of black cloth to cover it up, and it’s made a huge improvement.

If you want to test whether this part is also causing glare in your unit, simply slip your fingers in between it and the edge of the light seal - you might be surprised at the effect…

Sounds like you need a new light seal. Mine is secure without leakage in that area.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Sounds like you need a new light seal. Mine is secure without leakage in that area.
Yeah unfortunately whilst getting fitted at the Apple Store when I purchased my unit I just assumed it was the glare that everyone was referring to!

I don’t live in the US, so not entirely sure how I could find out which would be a better size (I currently have 21W). Will just have to be patient I guess, but it’s not significantly detracting from my enjoyment of the device - not one bit actually :)

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
Yeah unfortunately whilst getting fitted at the Apple Store when I purchased my unit I just assumed it was the glare that everyone was referring to!

I don’t live in the US, so not entirely sure how I could find out which would be a better size (I currently have 21W). Will just have to be patient I guess, but it’s not significantly detracting from my enjoyment of the device - not one bit actually :)
You need the N version to solve that problem. I had the same issue with the first shields I got. It took a lot of messing around to get the right one--their measuring tools are frankly just garbage.

Reactions: gerald.d

dhershberger

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2018
Ohio
You may not have a problem covering the plate unless you want to attach something directly to it. Last night I experimented with the speakers and the sound is definitely coming out of the hole on the outside of the strap.

Reactions: GrindedDown

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

Based on what I understand the 33W provides more wrap on the sides of your cheeks. Seals starting with a 1 are for smaller foreheads and cheeks that push out more forward than your forehead. Seals with 2 are more even between top and bottom.

If you feel like the light seal is too wide and there's just extra space hanging off the side of your face near the metal speaker area, you might need an "N" size to close the gap. Probably best to just try a new one next time you're in the US or when they launch this summer in more regions.

Reactions: gerald.d
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.