Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I'm configuring my 2020 Mac Mini with a 2TB internal ssd to be a dual boot system. I'll mostly be running the alternative OS and only rarely MacOS, so I want the other OS to have the majority of the disk space as possible, and MacOS will only get the bare minimum + a small buffer just in case I need to download an ISO or something.

I've done several Web searches, and all I get are a list of Apple computers that can run MacOS, which doesn't help! The Disk Utility lets me shrink the Monterey partition down to 1 Gb, but it will probably through an error later. I was hoping it would not let me shrink the OS partition below the minimum, but I was wrong!

Has anyone found documentation on disk space requirements for Monterey that they could share with me?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I have a Monterey install on an external 120GB SSD for "emergency and utility" for my Hackintosh. It just has one user account and nothing additional has been installed. It is using 21.68GB of space.

I don't know how much additional space it might need to run properly.

Reactions: jagooch

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Thanks. I found the value "20Gb" in a Monterey beta thread, and went with 50Gb to give it a plenty of room. It worked fine the few times that I've booted into it after the resizing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.