Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63W

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2020
Ive been looking in to buying 5th Gen Time Capsule, but I can't find any recent reviews. So if you are still using one, with latest wifi devices, what are your wifi speeds on 5Ghz band? I live in an apartment, so I don't need the range.

Thanks.

Last edited:

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Before I spent money on something like that, why not get a Google Nest or similar? I think I paid $100 for a 2 pack of the Google Nest.

63W

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2020
Before I spent money on something like that, why not get a Google Nest or similar? I think I paid $100 for a 2 pack of the Google Nest.

I don’t need nest or mesh. I’m interested in AirPort Extreme Time Capsule, because it has internal hard drive and is dirt cheap for a used one.

I have an Asus router with external HDD connected to it. But it’s bulky and external hhd adds more bulk and another cable.

So I’m trying to simplify and minimize my current setup.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
So if you are still using one, with latest wifi devices, what are your wifi speeds on 5Ghz band?
My household uses a 5th-gen Time Capsule for our WiFi, but I'm not exactly using the "latest" devices, haha!

Using 'iPerf3' to a (wired) server on my network, I get the following WiFi throughput (this

2015 MacBook Pro: 460 Mbps (Mega bits per sec)
2016 iPhone SE: 256 Mbps
8th-gen iPad: 253 Mbps

My Internet connection is 100 Mbps, so these numbers are just fine for me. Been using this TC for years and it has always been rock-solid reliable (except the HDD has failed and been removed).

Now, above I'm talking just about WiFi throughput -- if what you're really asking about is data transfer rates via Time Machine or SMB, it was slow... like 10 MBps (Mega Bytes per sec) at best. It appears that the processor in the TC is the bottleneck (it's not the HDD itself).

Reactions: 63W
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.