Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
9F8504F1-F6AD-4DFD-9404-244CF710C8EF.jpeg
Since installing ios12 on my ipad, what is this icon on my lock screen?

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
That's the icon for control center. No idea why it's up there (on the iPhones there's just the line), but then again I don't have an iPad. If you have CC enabled on the lock screen, maybe the icon just sits there to remind the user of it's existence.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
the only place so far that i have seen that icon in iOS12 is in iOS' new Shortcuts app, which also allows the app to place on the the Home Screen an icon as well.

does the line under the icon in yr photo indicate it wants you to swipe down?

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
the only place so far that i have seen that icon in iOS12 is in iOS' new Shortcuts app, which also allows the app to place on the the Home Screen an icon as well.

does the line under the icon in yr photo indicate it wants you to swipe down?
You’ve also seen it in Settings next to the Control Center line, as mentioned above.

My guess is it shows this if you’ve never used it as a tutorial but then disappears once you’ve used it (a few times?). Then it defaults back to just the more cryptic line.
[doublepost=1538823585][/doublepost]
I havent installed that app, and i cant swipe that icon in any direction
Try swiping down with your finger starting just above the screen ie above the battery icon tok

Reactions: sjleworthy

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
You’ve also seen it in Settings next to the Control Center line, as mentioned above.

My guess is it shows this if you’ve never used it as a tutorial but then disappears once you’ve used it (a few times?). Then it defaults back to just the more cryptic line.

This is the correct answer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.