Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

queensdee223

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2023
NYC
edit: So I'm now looking at full progress bar in the preference pane and it's counting down from ≈860 GB. `tmutil status` reports `BackupPhase` is `Copying`.

Does anybody know what the difference phases are and what they signify? `man tmutil` is unhelpful and I'm finding nothing online. Thanks!

Original post follows:

Hi, all. I've had my 2014 Mac Mini booted in safe mode backing up to my NAS for a few days. Finally, it looked like it was done. The Time Machine backup preference pane said "preparing backup" rather than list a time remaining, and `tmutil status` said it was a 1% and showed no `TimeRemaining` property. I figured this meant my first backup to the NAS was done and I decided I'd skip the backup so I could change some settings on my NAS.

Then I saw Time Machine reporting there was no last backup, and `tmutil listbackups` shows `No backups found for host` or `No machine directory found for host`. Sometimes it takes a VERY long time for the command to finish.

If I connect to the SMB share, there's a `my-machine-name.sparsebundle`bundle, and that bundle takes up 802.85 GB according to the Finder.

What am I doing wrong? The reason I want to do this backup is because something about this computer is janky -- it's way old and I've done a TON of tinkering with the sytem over the years. My preference is not to do a macOS reinstall without a Time Machine backup that itself is redundantly backed up.

Any advice? Thanks!

Last edited:

queensdee223

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2023
NYC
So I took the leap and reinstalled macOS, and now Time Machine is working -- just in time to have already done the reinstall I wanted to do after the backup 🤣 I haven't gone through all my usual workflows, but Firefox also seems faster, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I also did change from encrypted Time Machine to unencrypted and am doing the encryption on the sync up from my NAS to BackBlaze.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.