Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Is anyone else seeing this? Not exactly a bug but definitely a step backwards in terms of design. There is a "TO" in a square box in front of each subject line but seems to serve no purpose. The subject isn't the "TO" and the box isn't a button. This wasn't in iOS12. Just more clutter that is useless?

Forgive the crude circles on the screenshot, fat fingers are not as exact as a pencil.

Attachments

• IMG_07DC566FC756-1.jpeg
    IMG_07DC566FC756-1.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 256

Kristijan

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I don’t use the native mail app, but if it also shows CC and BCC depending on where you are in the recipients list, I think that’s rather handy.

If you can then setup mail filters based upon it, even better. At work, I send any email where I’m not specifically in the TO: field to another folder and I’ll check that once a day.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I think it’s a bug. I don’t see that on any of my 3 email accounts. I have a variety where some are sent directly to me or I’m on a corporate mailing list. I’m also sure I’m in a CC.

I don't get why the line separators between messages don’t go all the way across the screen. Maybe it’s always been like that.

edit: I found a screen shot from 2017. It’s always been like that.

jaisonline

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
@Shirasaki, In the past, that setting only applied to headers in emails while actually reading them. Not emails shown in the previews area.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
@Shirasaki, In the past, that setting only applied to headers in emails while actually reading them. Not emails shown in the previews area.
Odd, that pretty much always applied to email message list for me (as that is also the section where that option appears as well).

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Saw the same thing, turned the option off. It only seems to be in the list, not in the actual email. I'm thinking it was turned on for 13, but who knows. Def annoying.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
What’s the point of having that To label off to the side? I checked my settings and when I turned it on I got the label but I don’t see a benefit. Maybe it’s for others and not me.

What I don’t like is being able to Show and Hide the address recipients.

Before I could Show to see who else go an email, then hide when I’m done. Now I have to force close the app to get them to Hide again.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What’s the point of having that To label off to the side? I checked my settings and when I turned it on I got the label but I don’t see a benefit. Maybe it’s for others and not me.

What I don’t like is being able to Show and Hide the address recipients.

Before I could Show to see who else go an email, then hide when I’m done. Now I have to force close the app to get them to Hide again.
I guess the benefit can be to see if the email was addressed to you or perhaps you were simply copied on it and not the primary recipient.

As for expanding and collapsing the recipient list in the email itself, it’s working with each tap. Not sure why it only goes one way for you and requires restarting the app to change.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
It's not a new feature. It's been around for a while.

It indicates if an e-mail was sent directly to the e-mail account you're logged into.

I have my own domain. I give everyone I deal with a different e-mail address, so I can filter mail and trap spam. So I get e-mails addressed to macrumors@mydomain.com, apple@mydomain.com and so on.

I also have an Apple e-mail address: myname@me.com and that's the one my Mail app uses. If I send you an e-mail, that's where it comes from. And if you reply to that e-mail, that's where it's sent to. These get the [To] label attached to them in Mail.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
easier to understand it simply said:
if its sent to you with your email address on the To line, its marked as To
if its sent to you with your email address on the cc line, its marked as cc.
this is why the To or cc label is enclosed within a box, kind of a symbol.
there is a setting in Settings/Mail that you turn on/off to get this.

there are many people in some companies i found out who think they only need to / should reply to people if they were included in the To line, and ignore messages they were only cc'ed on.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Thanks for all the discussion. As many pointed out, it's a simple option choice. I just wish when Apple did upgrades, they wouldn't change a bunch of settings too. I had it off in iOS1-12, guess I was doing it wrong and Apple wanted to point that out to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.