Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
Is this the first time in the industry that a core on a smaller node is slower than essentially the same core on a previous node? Intel certainly breaking records again 😁
Wasn’t this gen supposed to be Intel stomping all over the M lineup?

I swear every argument from the Intel camp is about “wait until 2 gens from now! Then Intel will destroy everyone else!” And it’s always 2 gens away.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Right now, it's possible to shop for a refurbished M1 Pro MBP for cheaper than the M3 MBP, thus getting more ram, ports and better monitor support for less. But the main contention I keep seeing is that it costs too much for the 8gb of ram you are getting, and few seem willing to pay extra for more ram, when you can just pay a little bit more for the M3 Pro.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Hi, some of us had been waiting for the M3 series MacBook Pro since last Fall due to the expected better performance, better battery life, higher efficiency with less heat and noise. However, from the following video, it seems to be worse than predecessors. So what is wrong? I have not tried the M3 series Mac yet so I cannot verify the contents in this video.

Binned M3 Pro is very close to M2 Max on many test. M3 in general is impressive.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

m-m-i

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2023
Base M3 MacBook Pro has a better single core geekbench (for whatever that is worth to you) than every other Mac computer ever besides other M3 MacBook Pros, alongside longer battery life than any other MacBook Pro ever.

As someone shopping right now I wish I could buy an M3 Pro laptop with the ram and ssd I want, but the real steal right now price wise are discounted M2 Pro’s which are almost / basically M2 Max when looking at specs and also absolutely killer machines.

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
How clickbaits and youtubers works. Make a post claiming absolute opposite what everyone else is expecting. Find some stupid proof, so you dont look like absolute idiot. Create topic name and include Shocking, total disappoint etc….post it and grab money

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
And Dave2D does as well (at 3:30):
Weird that he claims Intel has caught up yet he’s comparing the last gen M2 against the latest Intel Ultra 7. Also, why is he comparing battery life with laptops with 75 Wh batteries to the fanless 53 Wh M2 MacBook Air? Wouldn’t a better comparison be to an MacBook Pro M3 Pro with a still smaller than 75 Wh but more comparable 70 Wh battery?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Weird that he claims Intel has caught up yet he’s comparing the last gen M2 against the latest Intel Ultra 7. Also, why is he comparing battery life with laptops with 75 Wh batteries to the fanless 53 Wh M2 MacBook Air? Wouldn’t a better comparison be to an MacBook Pro M3 Pro with a still smaller than 75 Wh but more comparable 70 Wh battery?

In performance class, most of the new Meteor Lakes are positioned against the M3 Pro. However, when it comes to price, they are competing directly against the base M-series. The comparison does make sense IMO.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
How clickbaits and youtubers works. Make a post claiming absolute opposite what everyone else is expecting. Find some stupid proof, so you dont look like absolute idiot. Create topic name and include Shocking, total disappoint etc….post it and grab money
I believe they try to sound and look sincere, but if you were to read & listen to what they are actually saying - they often are absolutely idiotic. “I know since I have 2 computer science degrees”

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
In performance class, most of the new Meteor Lakes are positioned against the M3 Pro. However, when it comes to price, they are competing directly against the base M-series. The comparison does make sense IMO.
Their single core and GPU performance (2x Raptor/Alder Lake GPU is still trash, Just like prior Intel GPU releases synthetic benchmarks like Timespy don't directly translate to better gaming performance as the AMD GPU is still beating Meteor lake despite having worse synthetic scores) is still pretty bad and most of the benchmarks are being run at higher power modes which means much less battery life than M3. I also want to see the difference in video encoding between M3 and Meteor Lake. Meteor Lake does have an AV1 encoder built in which is a major miss on the M3 chips.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRMSFC

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Right now, it's possible to shop for a refurbished M1 Pro MBP for cheaper than the M3 MBP, thus getting more ram, ports and better monitor support for less. But the main contention I keep seeing is that it costs too much for the 8gb of ram you are getting, and few seem willing to pay extra for more ram, when you can just pay a little bit more for the M3 Pro.
It comes down to Apple's decision to only make 16gb versions of the M3 as BTO, therefore mostly zero discounts. Right now, you can get the M3Pro base 18gb config for $1749 which is cheaper than an upgraded BTO M3 base with 16gb of ram.

EDIT: spoke too soon, pcconnection now has the M3 base with 16gb for the same price as stock.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
As you well know, Apple's price isn't solely tied to performance. Overall better build quality, higher resolution and brighter screens, and better sound just cost more and lead to higher resale value. If we are talking about performance and battery life then it should a comparison based on performance. If we are talking about value or product segmentation then including the price as part of the equation is fine. And even if they are competing against only the base M series, they should still be comparing the current gen M3 and not the M2 to be fair.

Reactions: StasDeBure
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.