Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoom25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Hi, I've been using Tuxera NTFS for over 10+ years to be able to read/write on NTFS formatted drives on Mac and speed and compatibility has never been an issue.

Since the update to Monterey, the old Tuxera version stopped working altogether, so I could no long write to my NTFS drives. Luckily, they had a beta release which brought the functionality back. However, the speeds are very slow on both Intel and M1 laptops. Simple 1080p video playback and seeking causes issues.

I've loved Tuxera because after you'd install it, you'd no longer have to think about it. The experience would be the same as Windows. It'd simply work without having to do anything after. It also worked very reliably.

Now, I may have to (hopefully temporarily) consider another solution to get NTFS working at full speeds like before. I'd like to hear your opinions on this topic and any recommendations for NTFS solutions. Thanks!

zoom25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Looks like there is a 2021 version coming out with support for Monterey:

This was updated 1 day ago:

https://macsupport.tuxera.com/hc/en...icrosoft-NTFS-for-Mac-by-Tuxera-release-notes

VERSION 2021 (pending, 2021)

• Support for macOS Monterey
  • Improvements to caching layer for improved performance with SSDs and hard drives
  • Disk Manager: Check and Repair can be started for volumes that are not mounted
  • A notification is shown if known conflicting drivers are detected
  • User manual is now included in the menu
  • Various bug fixes

Reactions: me55

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Hi, I've been using Tuxera NTFS for over 10+ years to be able to read/write on NTFS formatted drives on Mac and speed and compatibility has never been an issue.

Since the update to Monterey, the old Tuxera version stopped working altogether, so I could no long write to my NTFS drives. Luckily, they had a beta release which brought the functionality back. However, the speeds are very slow on both Intel and M1 laptops. Simple 1080p video playback and seeking causes issues.

I've loved Tuxera because after you'd install it, you'd no longer have to think about it. The experience would be the same as Windows. It'd simply work without having to do anything after. It also worked very reliably.

Now, I may have to (hopefully temporarily) consider another solution to get NTFS working at full speeds like before. I'd like to hear your opinions on this topic and any recommendations for NTFS solutions. Thanks!
Being using Paragon NTFS for the last 4 years. Never charged me for the updates. Fully compatible with Monterrey and M1...plus just 20 bucks.

zoom25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Being using Paragon NTFS for the last 4 years. Never charged me for the updates. Fully compatible with Monterrey and M1...plus just 20 bucks.

Do you currently have to manually mount and/or select the drives each time? I remember it used to be between Tuxera and Paragon, but I opted for Tuxera as it didn't involve any more steps after installation. It was plug and play. Whereas Paragon required attention even after installation based on what I read. Is that still a thing?

Also, Are there any issues with the speeds currently?

Thanks.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Do you currently have to manually mount and/or select the drives each time? I remember it used to be between Tuxera and Paragon, but I opted for Tuxera as it didn't involve any more steps after installation. It was plug and play. Whereas Paragon required attention even after installation based on what I read. Is that still a thing?

Also, Are there any issues with the speeds currently?

Thanks.
It mounts automatically as soon as I plug a NTFS formatted drive. I see no difference on speeds between copy to NTFS or copy to APFS.

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2020
It seems no valid solution for Monterey yet. I tried Mounty, Paragon NTFS for Mac and Tuxera Disk Manager, no one could write to NTFS drive. All of them worked great on Big Sur.

zoom25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
It seems no valid solution for Monterey yet. I tried Mounty, Paragon NTFS for Mac and Tuxera Disk Manager, no one could write to NTFS drive. All of them worked great on Big Sur.
Have you tried the latest 2020.2 Tuxera beta. It's on their website. It's not a "valid solution" at all but does allow for writing to NTFS drives.

The latest Paragon NTFS didn't work for you either? @diego.caraballo found it to work (can someone else confirm?)

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2020
Have you tried the latest 2020.2 Tuxera beta. It's on their website. It's not a "valid solution" at all but does allow for writing to NTFS drives.

The latest Paragon NTFS didn't work for you either? @diego.caraballo found it to work (can someone else confirm?)

Yes. Downloaded the latest version from their websites. They worked well on Big Sur. After the Mac was upgraded to Monterey Beta, it is impossible to write to NTFS drive any more. The USB drive is the same!

zoom25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Yes. Downloaded the latest version from their websites. They worked well on Big Sur. After the Mac was upgraded to Monterey Beta, it is impossible to write to NTFS drive any more. The USB drive is the same!
Okay, try to uninstall all of the NTFS stuff you have there including Tuxera and Paragon. They should restart it after uninstallation, but give it another restart to be sure. With Tuxera, you can double check that no icon should be listed in System Preferences.

Then do fresh 2020.2 Tuxera installation. It works with both M1 and Intel after the restart. I can write to it. Although, I wonder if you're doing this installation on a M1 or Intel machine?

Reactions: Joeronzk

eugenios

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2017
Italy
I'm using TUXERA 2020.1 with Monterey (installed on Big Sur 11.6) which is working flawlessly.
iMac 19,1

zoom25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
I just updated both my Intel and M1 to Tuxera 2021 from 2020.2.

The speeds are much better now. No problem with read speeds. Write speeds seemed good. Not sure about sequential writes and such. I have to do a bit more testing.

I'm curious how this drive would have performed in Big Sur with old Tuxera vs. Paragon's NTFS solution vs. native Apple's filesystem.

I never thought about the speeds between different filesystems and their implementations, but it's certainly on my mind now! Hard to ignore this aspect once I've seen it. Another thing lingering in the back of my mind now...great.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
None! get the F out!! Nah I have 2015 machines with Paragon NTFS and their EXT3 offerings. I had to stop at Mojave tho, cause I bought a 5 pack, and then we all know how these jerk-faces are, i.e. the NON-APP-STORE apps.

Everytime there's a NEW macOS update, "Pony up $50." FREAKIN' Apple doesn't even charge for macOS not even SERVER!!

Thing is with them I bought an Upgrade "Package", then some Upgrade "Insurance" such a scam but the damn thing is insane.

But on the MacBook Pro 2015/15 and MacBook Air 2015/15 they are a good resting place, because of the USB ports and the ability to put replaceable SSD blades in them so... after Windows installs completey shred your OWC $250 ssd blades to dust, you can pop a new one in.

Laters...

Spacegray

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2016

I'm also using Paragon NTFS since 04/2021 and have not yet had any problems so far. No difference in handling and speed compared to APFS volumes. Free updates and the price is fair ?

Reactions: diego.caraballo

sardarji

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2022
Below commands worked for me on monterey for ntfs support. This is experimental inbuilt driver

diskutil list
Find your ntfs disk, for my case it was "disk2s1"

sudo mkdir /Volumes/disk2s1
sudo mount -t ntfs -o rw,auto,nobrowse /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/disk2s1

now in your finder to to folder /Volumes/

To unmount disk
sudo umount /Volumes/disk2s1

Reactions: teterkin

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Mounty for NTFS Version 1.14 - 6th of June 2022
  • fixed a bug in macOS 12 where Mounty is left in inconsistent state when re-mount fails due to NTFS filesystem marked as "dirty" and needs cleanup by chkdsk on Windows
  • Mounty is still operating with NSTask workaround on macOS 12, at least there was an update on my bug report that it might be fixed in future OS update
https://mounty.app

teterkin

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2022
Below commands worked for me on monterey for ntfs support. This is experimental inbuilt driver

diskutil list
Find your ntfs disk, for my case it was "disk2s1"

sudo mkdir /Volumes/disk2s1
sudo mount -t ntfs -o rw,auto,nobrowse /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/disk2s1

now in your finder to to folder /Volumes/

To unmount disk
sudo umount /Volumes/disk2s1
Thank you Sardarji!
My MacOS Monterey 12.4 have mounted a drive with NTFS normaly, but after some minutes it unmounted it and stopped accepting this drive.
Your instruction helped me to access the drive.
Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.