Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Regal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Sweden
I am curious to know what kind of EXIF data is saved when i record a video with my iPhone?
I have an app called Exif Viewer that i use for photos and it`s possible to scrub video files with this too but i would like to know if there is any hidden EXIF data saved somewhere that regular EXIF removing apps will not detect?

And i am also wondering if it`s possible to remove the "date taken" data from a recorded video file?
The Exif Viewer app i currently use does not remove this data neither from video or photo.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Videos and photos have about the same saved EXIF data (location, camera used, date, etc). The only "hidden" data are artifacts of the camera (iPhone video cannot smoothly adjust to a brightness change and adjusts brightness in steps) or deliberate watermarks.

Date taken is not part of the EXIF section, its part of the file (date created and date modified). I know that you can change the date, but I don't know if it can be removed or what will happen if you do (all files have a date).

Reactions: Regal

Regal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Sweden
Videos and photos have about the same saved EXIF data (location, camera used, date, etc). The only "hidden" data are artifacts of the camera (iPhone video cannot smoothly adjust to a brightness change and adjusts brightness in steps) or deliberate watermarks.

Date taken is not part of the EXIF section, its part of the file (date created and date modified). I know that you can change the date, but I don't know if it can be removed or what will happen if you do (all files have a date).

Ok, thanks for the good information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.