Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dondark

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
I expect a ultraportable MacBook.
It may be called MacBook Mini.

Intel CPU = more portable

MacBook will not be complete without a macbook under 13".

with the build-in iSight, an ultraportable macbook will be fascinating and your in-and-out laptop.

dondark

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
richard4339 said:
So basically, you want the 17' MacBookPro with a 10 inch screen and weighing 4 pounds less?

No, I just want a small and portable macbook that i can carry around.

The good quality webcam, microphone, speakers, harddisk , wi-fi ,bluetooth and screen are probally what i want.

Of course, the case design and feature like the illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor are also important to me.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
richard4339 said:
So basically, you want the 17' MacBookPro with a 10 inch screen and weighing 4 pounds less?

Yeah those specs are a bit extreme,

If they were gonna make one, which i doubt, it would be more like:

1.66 GHz core duo

512 mb RAM

40 - 80 GB Hard drive

Intergrated graphics

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
That sounds more on par. With the heat problems they have with the current MacBooks, I don't know if I'd want to own one thats even smaller.

CyberB0b

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
maybe they will make a really really small one. without a screen. life is random you know :)

dondark

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
CyberB0b said:
maybe they will make a really really small one. without a screen. life is random you know :)

damn, what is the point without a screen? Do you mean it can project a 100" virtual screen?

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
CyberB0b said:

You know, a friend of mine and I were discussing today, that if you you simply needed a portable computer (but not a battery powered one), all you'd need would be a lid on the iMac, and bingo.

But as for what you said, that sounds like a good idea. You know, I bet they'd even try to name it after its small size. Maybe "Mac Mini", but I dunno. That's a long shot.

;-)

dondark said:
damn, what is the point without a screen? Do you mean it can project a 100" virtual screen?

I think it was a joke ;-)

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
richard4339 said:
That sounds more on par. With the heat problems they have with the current MacBooks, I don't know if I'd want to own one thats even smaller.

Yes you would. Apple would use a different chip...the Core Duo LV (low voltage), which has a TDP roughly half that of any core duo chip, or the Core Duo ULV (ultra low voltage) which has one less than a third that of any core duo.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
what Apple needs to release is a pocket sized device the plugs in to any computer via USB and runs OSX, I know I can do that right now, but you have to have a firewire hard drive, and it has to plug into a mac, but if we can have it so it can connect with a USB into a windows machine, PERFECT, it wouldn't need a processor, it'll makes use of the processor of the computer you're plugging into, is this doable?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
dondark said:
I expect a ultraportable MacBook.
It may be called MacBook Mini.

Intel CPU = more portable

MacBook will not be complete without a macbook under 13".

with the build-in iSight, an ultraportable macbook will be fascinating and your in-and-out laptop.

Is this topic more to ask the community or to whore your opinion to the community?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Jericho2550 said:
what Apple needs to release is a pocket sized device the plugs in to any computer via USB and runs OSX, I know I can do that right now, but you have to have a firewire hard drive, and it has to plug into a mac, but if we can have it so it can connect with a USB into a windows machine, PERFECT, it wouldn't need a processor, it'll makes use of the processor of the computer you're plugging into, is this doable?

Amazing, it probably uses a special Apple USBX connector that offers 999999999GB/s of bandwidth and a latency of 0.000001 picosecond. Of course it is not doable.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
With the iMac going to 24''... 19'' MBP? :D

Honestly though, I don't think Apple's going to bring in anything brand new in terms of laptops. There probably won't be a 12''/13.3'' pro portable - it doesn't make much sense. People who buy small laptops need constant portability, and probably don't do anything graphics intensive while on the move. The MB does this just fine. Besides, with the 15'' MBPs suffering such heat problems, there's no way Apple is going to go towards smaller enclosures with more power.

Maybe a tablet? But then again, tablets really haven't caught on yet, and there isn't much of a market for Apple to sell to. This will probably change in a couple years, but not in the near future.

I'd rather see new laptop modifications than a whole new type of laptop. Like an extended-life battery for the MBPs. The would change the 17'' MBP from a desktop replacement/somewhat portable computer into a laptop capable of lasting through a long day's work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.