Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What led you to upgrade to a new iPad model?

• Total voters

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Do we think the Air colours are identical to the Mini ones, except that the Air comes in blue? The starlight looks a bit different but I assumed they’d all be the same as the Mini ones otherwise they’d have removed the ones that didn’t sell as well as they thought. The purple seemed to go down well on here with both sexes while I also bought it because the Mini pink didn’t look pink in person.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Kudos to @UltimateSyn for a lengthy post. I’ve had a history of iPad upgrades since the 2nd generation, but I rather focus on my recent purchase. Um, I think what attracted me the most about 2021 12.9 inch iPP was the marketing aspect of the M1 chip… so, I guess the “hype.”

But its one of those things I ask myself… would I do things differently knowing what I know now? Nope… I enjoy using iPads. I came from the 2018 iPP 12.9” model, skipped 2020 because it wasn’t worth upgrading… imo.

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Started with an iPad Mini 2 upgraded because I wanted a larger screen, pencil support, and iPadOS updates. My next iPad upgrade will be for a better camera since I love to use my iPad as a document scanner for my Mac.

Reactions: Saturn007

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I once again tried to go iPad-less for a little while and realized there are just too many things it does that the Mac doesn't do. I do not need an iPad Pro these days, and I did not want anything large or with a home button on the front. I have always loved the iPad mini form factor, but in my opinion, that's the design where they should have removed the home button FIRST. Those bezels always seemed like such a waste of space to me.

I put my money where my mouth has been for the last year or so and bought a maxed out mini 6 w/Pencil and Smart Cover in January and it has been a thrill to use. It might be my favorite iPad model of all time, and I've owned just about every generation, including most of the Pro years. I just need that in-between device sometimes. I feel the iPad works better there than as my laptop currently, and the mini 6 is working better as an iPad for me than any other iPad before it. In fact, I've brought it a couple places instead of my iPhone a couple of times.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
I’ve had almost every iPad made, mainly because I like to buy new gadgets, and with 4 adult kids, and 8 grandkids, I always have someone to hand my old ones down to.

That being said, I’ve really enjoyed my 11” pro. My only struggle right now is whether to go to the 12.9 because it’s my only computing device. The 11” is so perfect for traveling though - slips right in my purse. I know the 12.9 will be less perfect, but for the desk at home (95%) of my usage, it would be ideal.

Also, even though I know my pro is superior, and I won’t do it, I REALLY want the new Air in that gorgeous pink! Lol

In addition to ssledoux and rui de onna, I would also likely have bought the Air 5 (although I like the blue) if I had cause to need an 11” tablet. They look so nice.

Reactions: UltimateSyn

dexterie

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
I got my first iPad, the retina (“iPad 3”) because I wanted an iPad and the Retina display was amazing.
Then I remember I replaced it with some Samsung oled mini tablet, but android was crap. This tablet was eventually replaced by the iPad mini 4. I wanted a smaller form factor.
Then the iPad Pro 10.5 came along with pro motion and amazing speaker. Thought I’d use it more like a computer…it didn’t happen.
I just replaced it with an iPad mini 6 because I needed something smaller and more manageable. Super happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.