Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I've been having issues with my Linksys router, and I've just been on the phone with one of their technicians for an hour or so, and she said I could buy defunctional router replaced at the Best Buy where I got it, as I purchased it less than a month ago. So, I can get any access point or wireless router made by linksys, I'm assuming in the $50 range (how much the WRT54G originally cost me). Anyway, both computers in the house accessing the net are wireless, which is why I'll look at access points, too. Which linksys wireless product will be the most painless to use? Thanks so much,
wmmk

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
anyone here use linksys routers with an intel mac? I'd really appreciate any help:eek:
I now think I may actually be able to get somwthing for more than $50.

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
netgear wgr164 i think i saw it newegg this past weekend for around $45

I have never gotten a linksys to work with mac let alone marginally with win

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
netgear wgr164 i think i saw it newegg this past weekend for around $45

I have never gotten a linksys to work with mac let alone marginally with win

I thought the man said he needed to buy a Linksys for his warrantee (or I read it wrong). Anyway, I have both Netgear and Linksys components in my home network. I did experience some configuration issues with Linksys. So, I just plugged them straight into a Dell, did the configuration and then installed them on the network. They work fine. For me (anyway), the issues revolved around the set-up wizard on the Mac. For your future consideration, except for 1 fan failure, I never have had an issue with a Netgear product.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Linksys WRT54G. Can be had for about $50 anywhere. Works perfectly fine with everything; that's the most popular kind of router among my local circle of Mac and PC fans alike.

And remember: Never ever ever use a stupid software-based setup wizard. Everything you need can be accomplished with just a few clicks through the router's web interface.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
See if the Best Buy has the Linksys WRT54GL, which is the older Linux based model. It might be just a bit over $50, but is far more capable and robust than the version 5 or version 6 WRT54Gs that are out there now.

B

Guy Incognito

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
I have two Macbooks that connect wirelessly to a Linksys WRT54G. I have never had any problems with this setup, and in fact have found it much more reliable than my previous crappy Netgear router.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I was just at worst buy and got the Netgear WGT624v3. The idiots charged me a 15% restocking fee. Oh, I'll call their corporate offices and raise hell.:mad:

The setup CD is winbloze only. I'm assuming I just connect DSL, connect ethernet, connect power, go to 192.168.1.1, and change all the settings I want? Thanks.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
that's the way my linksys router worked even though the cd was windows only

ok. I just set it up and everything works perfectly. when I hooked up the hardware, some weird web based autosetup wizard showed up, but it killed the internet connection, so I set up the damn thing manually and all is well. sorry I've seemed pissed in this thread and the other network related one:eek:

Well, it's sure nice to have internet again:)

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
don't get the WRT54G in general. I had a VERY hard time getting them to work with my Macs at all, and when I did I had to reset the router once a day or more depending on how many times the router decided to disconnect all the wired and wireless compuers. The Netgear I have now is much better. And what I did to set it up is, I called techsupport and had them walk me through it :D. I hate network related issues. Although when I was in Best Buy they told me that Belken (I think, this was several months ago) was the only router manufactorer that supported the Mac (not counting Apple).

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
don't get the WRT54G in general. I had a VERY hard time getting them to work with my Macs at all, and when I did I had to reset the router once a day or more depending on how many times the router decided to disconnect all the wired and wireless compuers. The Netgear I have now is much better. And what I did to set it up is, I called techsupport and had them walk me through it :D. I hate network related issues. Although when I was in Best Buy they told me that Belken (I think, this was several months ago) was the only router manufactorer that supported the Mac (not counting Apple).
cool! I am now posting from the MBP, via the netgear, which is actually sending a decent signal. i really like this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.