Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Downsizing from screen size can be traumatic.
I think a 16" in base spec would serve you better than any update you can put in the 14" machine.
At least it has worked this way for me.
I also use external monitors but it bothers me to be tight while I'm not at home.
Ugh. I am at the point where I don’t even want to be working on my 16” MBP if it’s not connected to an external display. (That is, if the work is design-focused.)

thv

macrumors regular
May 12, 2022
Ugh. I am at the point where I don’t even want to be working on my 16” MBP if it’s not connected to an external display. (That is, if the work is design-focused.)
This is my problem... Apple, please send my studio display 😭 It's a very personal choice I guess - if the laptop is going to be too small either way, save $ with the extra 2 inches smaller or no? For me I went with the 16" because I had the $ and wanted to have as much screen size as possible when I'm not at my desk, I think I would hate 14" considering the 16" is annoying at times

Re: weight it definitely isn't light but I used to carry around a few textbooks with no problem, the increase in screen size is worth it for me

Last edited:
Reactions: LegendJxli

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I've upgraded from a base M1 air to a base 16" for screen size mostly.
The spec bump was also nice, but I could have survived even with a base M1.
Too bad 13" is basically a tablet sized screen nowadays.
Can't do any kind of honest multitasking on it.
I respect users getting maxed-out 14" units but I couldn't imagine working even 1 day on it.

LegendJxli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2022
I've upgraded from a base M1 air to a base 16" for screen size mostly.
The spec bump was also nice, but I could have survived even with a base M1.
Too bad 13" is basically a tablet sized screen nowadays.
Can't do any kind of honest multitasking on it.
I respect users getting maxed-out 14" units but I couldn't imagine working even 1 day on it.
You think if i go for 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD it is worth goin for the 24Core GPU M1Max? Or just stick with the base 16Core GPU M1 Pro in the 16“. Will the up to 4 external Displays, 400GB/s Bandwith and the extra GPU Cores will be worth it even when im replacing it in 3-5 years? I came to the point where im sure i take 1TB SSD and 32GB RAM but idk about the Chip. 16“ Base M1 Pro or 24 Core M1 Max? What about bit of Gaming like League of Legends.

Last edited:

brerlappin

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2012
You think if i go for 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD it is worth goin for the 24Core GPU M1Max? Or just stick with the base 16Core GPU M1 Pro in the 16“. Will the up to 4 external Displays, 400GB/s Bandwith and the extra GPU Cores will be worth it even when im replacing it in 3-5 years? I came to the point where im sure i take 1TB SSD and 32GB RAM but idk about the Chip. 16“ Base M1 Pro or 24 Core M1 Max? What about bit of Gaming like League of Legends.
If you’re doing gaming, then go with the max if you can afford it.

Either way, the machine should easily last 3-5 years or more

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
If you are going to spend the money, why don't you get the $1999 Mac Studio? Will you be needing the laptop in class?

I am a graphic designer, I have used Photoshop on my 2018 Mac mini, but now I use Affinity Photo and Designer.... I am sure they won't have you using them in class.... I also design more on my iPad Pro 12.9"..... I just got the 14" M1 Pro MacBook.... I am not sure I am going to keep it.... I was playing around with my 4K monitor today and it seems so wonky to set up and use. Also was having weird issues with getting an external keyboard and trackpad set up... maybe it's this particular Macbook (not all 14's).... it might have battery issue as well....

I am considering the Mac Studio, I read some things that others using the M1 Mac mini were having issues in PS after having a lot of layers. Plus other types of issues.... so don't get a MB air or 13". I know about future proofing - I would use a Windows laptop (high specs) for about 2 years before the slow down would get to bug me.... I am almost 4 years on this Mac mini - but as I said I am not using it heavy duty and it is only an i5...

I may wait and see if there is going to be a new Mac mini with either m1 pro or m2.... but that won't be out in time for you.....

Right now, I am trying to play Sims 4.... Mac mini 2018 was starting to run really funky when I played it.... Tried the 13 M1 MBP ran too hot.... 14" is bothering my wrist, so that is why I was trying the externals....

LegendJxli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2022
If you are going to spend the money, why don't you get the $1999 Mac Studio? Will you be needing the laptop in class?

I am a graphic designer, I have used Photoshop on my 2018 Mac mini, but now I use Affinity Photo and Designer.... I am sure they won't have you using them in class.... I also design more on my iPad Pro 12.9"..... I just got the 14" M1 Pro MacBook.... I am not sure I am going to keep it.... I was playing around with my 4K monitor today and it seems so wonky to set up and use. Also was having weird issues with getting an external keyboard and trackpad set up... maybe it's this particular Macbook (not all 14's).... it might have battery issue as well....

I am considering the Mac Studio, I read some things that others using the M1 Mac mini were having issues in PS after having a lot of layers. Plus other types of issues.... so don't get a MB air or 13". I know about future proofing - I would use a Windows laptop (high specs) for about 2 years before the slow down would get to bug me.... I am almost 4 years on this Mac mini - but as I said I am not using it heavy duty and it is only an i5...

I may wait and see if there is going to be a new Mac mini with either m1 pro or m2.... but that won't be out in time for you.....

Right now, I am trying to play Sims 4.... Mac mini 2018 was starting to run really funky when I played it.... Tried the 13 M1 MBP ran too hot.... 14" is bothering my wrist, so that is why I was trying the externals....
Yea i also considered the Mac Studio… The thing is i will need a Laptop for collage as my collage is more practicle not just theory (hard to explain). And then i would need to buy a Laptop later… The Mac Studio would really be nice as its very powerful but also not that expensive (compared to the MacBooks). Thats just the problem i will need the Laptop as i wrote an email to that collage and they said yes you need a laptop with these specs: (windows not included as i work with my ipad and i like mac) M1 Chip, 16 but better 32 GB RAM, 512GB but better 1TB SSD, USB A or USB C and DisplayPort or HDMI (ik i could get adapter).
All not so easy…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.