Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I was just curious as to what kind of macs you guys are using for this? And is anyone running Seti@home at the same time as Folding@home?
I just joined the Macrumors Folding Team and I'm currently running the program on a 800mhz G4 iMac.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I have a Dual 1Ghz PowerMac. I run SETI on one processor + Folding on the other.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
I run them on a tibook 500. I don't run seti and folding at the same time, but alternate between them. It's then a simple matter of connecting just once to the internet to send/receive work units.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Rower and I run many machines here at work:

~40 Dell GX150 1GHz
1 Dell GX110 1 GHz
1 DP MDD 1 GHz (both processors)
1 733 MHz QS
1 B&W 450MHz
1 Sawtooth 450MHz
2 333MHz Dell GXa
1 GHz generic pee-cee

i woud it run at home, but i need my processor to last, because it has no more space in the case for active cooling.

we have an emac lab on the way that will fold it's little heart out when the day comes. :)

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Dual 1.25 G4.... but only with one processor...

mc68k, the script you wrote, has weird effects on my computer. after a while having it run, weird stuff happens..thats the best explanation because its different all teh time....

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by teabgs
Dual 1.25 G4.... but only with one processor...

mc68k, the script you wrote, has weird effects on my computer. after a while having it run, weird stuff happens..thats the best explanation because its different all teh time....
well, it might not be the scripts, it could be the binaries. w/o more info i really can't tell you.

i tried f@h v3 on rower's work machine (DP ghz MDD) today, and it worked like a charm. i was in contact with
bousozoku, who said he already had some scripts wrote. this would save me some time in writing them, so you can obtain these from him. if for some reason something doesn't work i would be glad to help out as well, as always.

the folders my script made are in the root level of your user directory. if they are cauing you trouble, i would suggest deleting them.

if you are at all interested in doing it yourself, i or bousozoku could do that too. thanks for donating your cycles to the cause, it's much appreciated. :)

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
F@H:
SP PM G4 533 - Terminal
2 x CRT iMac, not too sure the specs - Saver
DP PM G4 500 - Saver (Web server so I do not want to push it too hard therefore only use 1 of 2 processors)
15" 700MHz iMac - Saver

S@H:
CRT iMac, not too sure the specs - Saver
PM G4 400 - Saver

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by mc68k
well, it might not be the scripts, it could be the binaries. w/o more info i really can't tell you.

i tried f@h v3 on rower's work machine (DP ghz MDD) today, and it worked like a charm. i was in contact with
bousozoku, who said he already had some scripts wrote. this would save me some time in writing them, so you can obtain these from him. if for some reason something doesn't work i would be glad to help out as well, as always.

the folders my script made are in the root level of your user directory. if they are cauing you trouble, i would suggest deleting them.

if you are at all interested in doing it yourself, i or bousozoku could do that too. thanks for donating your cycles to the cause, it's much appreciated. :)

theyve been deleted....I cant (dont know how) to write it myself....I'll contact bousozoku and get whatever he has...

Its not really a big deal if both processors arent working...I just feel like I could be doing more...and for whatever reason I cant quite figure out how to get it to work from the command line version (only briefly tried and my unix is next to none)

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by teabgs

theyve been deleted....I cant (dont know how) to write it myself....I'll contact bousozoku and get whatever he has...

Its not really a big deal if both processors arent working...I just feel like I could be doing more...and for whatever reason I cant quite figure out how to get it to work from the command line version (only briefly tried and my unix is next to none)

The current version of Folding@Home will not DP. I used to have one copy of 3 and one of 2 on my machine to DP whereas Falleron, as per above post, is running F@H on one and S@H on another.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by madamimadam
The current version of Folding@Home will not DP.
I beg to differ. i used to think this was so, but it is not the case.

There is a switch in the binary, -local, which localizes info to the current subdirectory. Therefore you can keep seperate data for each processor. i just tried it oday on a DP MDD gig, and it worked like a charm.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I beg to differ. i used to think this was so, but it is not the case.

There is a switch in the binary, -local, which localizes info to the current subdirectory. Therefore you can keep seperate data for each processor. i just tried it oday on a DP MDD gig, and it worked like a charm.

I have tried it many a time and it has not worked and as per F@H doco last time I looked the -local tag is only usable in Windows. Because they just ported over the app it still has the -local tag in its resources so it will not reject it but it is not active.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Copy and paste from the F@H homepage:

Windows Specific

The below options are accepted but ignored by the clients for operating systems other than Microsoft Windows.

-local

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
I have tried it many a time and it has not worked and as per F@H doco last time I looked the -local tag is only usable in Windows
All I can say, is that when I get some time, i will write a script and explain it thouroughly so we can get all those 2nd processors out there folding.

the current 3.12 binary, when executed with the -local switch in this manner has produced positive results for me:
Code:
./OSX… -local
I did a control group today with and w/o the -local: the former put data into ~/library/folding@home, while the latter put data into . (current directory path). i know what the manual says, but i've got actual results with the switch.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Heh... well from the sounds of the specs so far I'm running the least powerful outfit! A meager G4 450 (O/Ced 400), but she does 'er job good 'nuff.

She's been chewing on Project 145 for almost 4 days solid now. I wonder if it's the mislabeled Project 146? No way to tell, really...

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Hemingray
She's been chewing on Project 145 for almost 4 days solid now. I wonder if it's the mislabeled Project 146? No way to tell, really...
i would say 4 days straight would definietely be the 6-pointer, no doubt about it. .6-pointers take no time at all on any computer.

i saw you on the stats, good work! just keep outputting and you'll rise to the upper ranks. a great majority of the the team doen't output anything (capacity, one-time name recognition?), so you'll be ahead of most people in that respect.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by Hemingray
Heh... well from the sounds of the specs so far I'm running the least powerful outfit! A meager G4 450 (O/Ced 400), but she does 'er job good 'nuff.

Nah...I got you beat there. I'm running F@H on a Pentium MMX 200 MHz processor...worked like a charm. I just weaseled a five point protein out of it;)

I'm also running it on an AMD K6-II 550 MHz laptop...so half the time I'm using the laptop and half the time its folding...ends up being slightly faster than the 200MHz desktop :)

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i went to the library at school today— they have a lab that's open 24/7 that i've been meaning to check out for a while

they had no security, so i added the f@h to the startup items

6 * 2.2GHz so far, i'll check on their progress during the week, and possibly add more

the graphical client works best for labs, i've almost never seen anyone quit out of it

people who have no security are asking for people like me to take over their machines :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

I have tried it many a time and it has not worked and as per F@H doco last time I looked the -local tag is only usable in Windows. Because they just ported over the app it still has the -local tag in its resources so it will not reject it but it is not active.

I've been running successfully for several weeks with the -local flag in use and two processors going using version 3.12. It places the work folder inside the current folder and works from there. The only other thing you need do is to change the machine i.d. within the advanced options.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
i went to the library at school today— they have a lab that's open 24/7 that i've been meaning to check out for a while

they had no security, so i added the f@h to the startup items

6 * 2.2GHz so far, i'll check on their progress during the week, and possibly add more

the graphical client works best for labs, i've almost never seen anyone quit out of it

people who have no security are asking for people like me to take over their machines :)
Thats good to hear! We need more computers if we are to increase our position. Yesterday I added a P4 1.8Ghz to my account which should also help.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
I really wouldn't recommend putting any distributed clients on computers that aren't yours. Read this:
http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,49961,00.html

Bad stuff can happen to you if somebody gets pissed.

Anyways, I've got a dual 1.2ghz Duron (about to be upgraded to dual XP1600's), a G4/733, a Dual 867 and 6 1.7ghz Dell's. Unfortunately my dual 867 G4 has been doing video and audio work and dvd authoring so I've shut down fah on it. I've also only installed 4 of the 6 dells so far so I should climb a bit higher once everything's running.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
yeah, good advice. too bad i've been messing w/school machines for ~7 years now :) it's gotten to be a habit.

the library lab here is poorly staffed, overseen, and maintained. the only problem is all the kids, they can completely take over 200 machines no problem. this makes it hard to keep them folding (i checkced on those 6 today, most of them weren't running folding :()

i choose my labs carefully— people like that guy in the article should know better. taking over 500 machines against people who press charges means he must have done somethng to piss them off (he was probably too active or conspicuous in the lab)

but the moral of the story is don't start, it becomes a bad habit. eventually you'll start circumventing security, and that's where the serious trouble lies usually. at least with no security you could plead your case better.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
I hear you on the addiction part. When dnetc was big a year or two ago I did 1 million keys in like a month. I had all our computers in the district I work for cracking. Too bad it slowed them down so much people bitched. When we start migrating to OS X I'm thinking of putting a script into the startupitems to run that will enable hidden folding.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by rugby
When we start migrating to OS X I'm thinking of putting a script into the startupitems to run that will enable hidden folding.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. The only problem I see is that the folding would have to be run before user login, otherwise it would open terminal and people would quit out of it.

I guess that would mean the process would have to be run as root. I believe startup items does do this, but AFAIK it's a little more complicated than dropping a script in there. I'll probably do more research when the new lab comes in.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
I'm looking at running a crontab that will see if it's running every 15 minutes and if it's not, then it starts it. When the time comes I'm sure we can figure something out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.