Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is there an application that will show in real time and live, what quests make my iMac hot?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Can Activity Monitor state how much heat each app thats running creates to the overall system temperature?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Can Activity Monitor state how much heat each app thats running creates to the overall system temperature?

Well, nothing can do that. That’s not really how it works. Activity Monitor can let you see how much an app is pressuring your hardware and you can infer heat generation based on that, but each app doesn’t contribute a certain percentage or temperature to the system heat.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Where are these "pressuring" specs located in Activity Monitor?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
While you're in that CPU pane, sort by "% CPU" and the most active processes will come to the top. "CPU Time" can be useful as well, to see what's cumulatively been using CPU time the most.

I'm not exactly sure how "Energy Impact" is calculated. I assume a combo of disk activity and CPU?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I'm not exactly sure how "Energy Impact" is calculated. I assume a combo of disk activity and CPU?

It’s a more complicated equation than just that; GPU, wake ups from idle, network calls over both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi

While a lot of the time, a program will show up as high on the energy impact list, if it’s also one that will produce a lot of heat as a result of a lot of computational load, but it can also just be that it keeps waking up the processor all the time, even if it never gives the chip a substantial load.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It’s a more complicated equation than just that; GPU, wake ups from idle, network calls over both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi

While a lot of the time, a program will show up as high on the energy impact list, if it’s also one that will produce a lot of heat as a result of a lot of computational load, but it can also just be that it keeps waking up the processor all the time, even if it never gives the chip a substantial load.
Interesting -- thanks for the clarification.

I find CoconutBattery is really helpful for keeping an eye on my MacBook's power consumption. You can set it to display the watts being drawn. If I see a high value, I know to look around and see if any process is getting greedy :)

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 8.39.55 PM.png

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
One of the 'burning':oops: questions that I'm suprised nobody has asked is "how old is your iMac?"
If it's new or less than a 2-3 years old it should be pretty clean inside. If older and subject to your environment you may have fans that are partially blocked and unable to supply essential cooling air to the CPU/GPU.

I have a mid 2010 27" iMac, and 5 years ago when I first opened it up to install an SSD, I was horrified to see the amount of clogged dust/debris in all the fans (all the more surprised as my wife keeps the home near spotless). Prior to that I'd felt that the iMac was getting pretty warm at the top (which is where the hot air exits from), but it had always performed well. As it was 5 years old at the time, I completely disassembled it for refurbish, cleaning/re-pasting the CPU, and thoroughly cleaning the 3 fans and re-lubing the spindles. With a 500GB Samsung SSD installed and RAM added to a total of 12GB the iMac was truly transformed, and it's still in regular daily use today. I cleaned the fans again last year. It's still an excellent performer.
What model of iMac do you have? It may just require a spring-clean.......

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
CooperBox... i got the same mid2010 27" iMac and i also cleaned it thoroughly when i installed a Samsung 500GB SSD :)

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
No one has mentioned cat fur yet. If your Mac is a few years old, dust/fur can really clog the cooling ports. A little take part and blowout is all that's needed. My 2005 mini is still running because I do this every couple years.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
No one has mentioned cat fur yet. If your Mac is a few years old, dust/fur can really clog the cooling ports. A little take part and blowout is all that's needed. My 2005 mini is still running because I do this every couple years.
The mini is much easier, and safer to open than the iMac, but i hear what youre saying ;-)
[automerge]1591658353[/automerge]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.