Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is the "insert" or "buffer" between each glass piece and the steel band made of?

• Rubber

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TaLinkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
Edit: So after a bit more digging, it seems the "insert" between glass and steel band on the iPhone XS is present for the front only. There isn't an "insert" between the back glass and steel band of the phone. This is different from the iPhone X, which had this material for both front and back.

untitled.png
iphone-xs-max-antenna-100773638-orig.jpg

Does anyone know, definitively, if it is plastic or rubber? Or some kind of composite?

Same question for the "insert" or "buffer" between the front glass piece and the steel band.
Capture+_2020-03-13-05-10-49.png

Appreciate all input :)

Last edited:

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Plastic, I accidentally melted one while during a back glass replacement.

It withstands heat a lot better than plastic but it still is.

Reactions: TaLinkins

TaLinkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
Plastic, I accidentally melted one while during a back glass replacement.

It withstands heat a lot better than plastic but it still is.
Hi Lekro, thanks for your reply :)

Would you be able to confirm? What makes you think it's plastic and not rubber or a composite?

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
Can’t say for certain but traditionally with all iPhones and with all other phones from other manufacturers it has always been referred to as a plastic antenna band or buffer, especially in teardowns and repair guides, I’ve literally never heard somebody call it something different.

For the intended usage, plastic does seem to have the ideal properties.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Hi Lekro, thanks for your reply :)

Would you be able to confirm? What makes you think it's plastic and not rubber or a composite?

Because the stuff I posted. I heat the chassis up to 270-300°C during the back glass replacement, rubber would melt away.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Okay OP, I'll bite, may I ask as to why you're so intrigued about what type of material is present? I'm just curious...

TaLinkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
Because the stuff I posted. I heat the chassis up to 270-300°C during the back glass replacement, rubber would melt away.
Rubber would be soft. And compostite doesn’t melt, it burns.
Probably thermo injected plastic
Can’t say for certain but traditionally with all iPhones and with all other phones from other manufacturers it has always been referred to as a plastic antenna band or buffer, especially in teardowns and repair guides, I’ve literally never heard somebody call it something different.

For the intended usage, plastic does seem to have the ideal properties.
Thank you guys :) Would your comments apply to the "insert" or "buffer" between the front glass piece and the steel band too; is this material pictured below a plastic, rubber, or a composite? @Lekro @maerz001
22.PNG

FlippyGonnaSnap you're mostly-right; indeed, from what I've see at least, most people refer to it as a plastic, though I've seen at least two instances where it was called a rubber. I'm just hoping to get more clarification/input from more people. Thanks :)

Okay OP, I'll bite, may I ask as to why you're so intrigued about what type of material is present? I'm just curious...
Fair question, though if you were expecting something interesting I'm sorry to disappoint. Main reason is..I came across this aftermarket(?if it's the right word) spray-on nanocoating product marketed as safe for mobiles - not just the screen, the frame too - but it's officially only applicable on plastic, metal and glass. Thought it'd be nice to be able to protect and better-preserve the phone; I'm on prepaid and use my phones for an average of 5 years. I'm admittedly kinda OCD, so I'm tryin' to be careful. My phone actually hasn't arrived yet.

I know only Apple truly knows exactly what's on/in their phones, but Apple's online chat support couldn't help much. Approached
Apple Support on Twitter, no reply yet, and I'm sadly not hopeful.
[automerge]1584126421[/automerge]
Anyway, if anyone's got any insight, please feel free to share. Thanks and have a nice day! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Fair question, though if you were expecting something interesting I'm sorry to disappoint. Main reason is..I came across this aftermarket(?if it's the right word) spray-on nanocoating product marketed as safe for mobiles - not just the screen, the frame too - but it's officially only applicable on plastic, metal and glass. Thought it'd be nice to be able to protect and better-preserve the phone; I'm on prepaid and use my phones for an average of 5 years. I'm admittedly kinda OCD, so I'm tryin' to be careful. My phone actually hasn't arrived yet.

I know only Apple truly knows exactly what's on/in their phones, but Apple's online chat support couldn't help much. Approached
Apple Support on Twitter, no reply yet, and I'm sadly not hopeful.
[automerge]1584126421[/automerge]
Anyway, if anyone's got any insight, please feel free to share. Thanks and have a nice day! :)
Oh okay, I got you. I'm the same way I like protecting my phone as well. Me personally, I don't put much faith in those type of coatings especially after watching YouTube videos on them. But that's just me. What about a wrap? Maybe that would give you some added protection.

TaLinkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
Okay, ..I've seen talk of a rubber gasket for the iPhone's screen, that's proportedly for water resistance. Is this referring to the "buffer"/"insert" I'm interested in? I thought the XS relied on adhesive to seal its display; rubber gaskets for other stuff like buttons and lightning port?

Anyone knows, definitively, what this matter is made of? Rubber, plastic, or a composite?

My bad for bothering everyone.. appreciate all comments > <

TaLinkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
Oh okay, I got you. I'm the same way I like protecting my phone as well. Me personally, I don't put much faith in those type of coatings especially after watching YouTube videos on them. But that's just me. What about a wrap? Maybe that would give you some added protection.
Are you referring to liquid screen protectors like Spigen's "GLAS.tR"? Yea, I'd agree those aren't very good. The company of the product I'd like to try seems more "legit" though; they have both industrial and retail catalogues. Plus they say you can use it on the steel band too so it's like almost a 360-degree thing. Either way, after the coating cures, I'll be leaving the phone in a LifeProof or something. Maybe I'm over-doing it, but...yea.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Are you referring to liquid screen protectors like Spigen's "GLAS.tR"? Yea, I'd agree those aren't very good. The company of the product I'd like to try seems more "legit" though; they have both industrial and retail catalogues. Plus they say you can use it on the steel band too so it's like almost a 360-degree thing. Either way, after the coating cures, I'll be leaving the phone in a LifeProof or something. Maybe I'm over-doing it, but...yea.
One thing to keep in mind, Apple isn't very fond of these type of coatings, so doing anything like that may give them a reason to void the warranty.

TaLinkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
One thing to keep in mind, Apple isn't very fond of these type of coatings, so doing anything like that may give them a reason to void the warranty.
Makes sense. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Either way, I think it'd be nice to know what material(s) the 2 things are composed of. So it seems the antenna lines are plastic. What about the "insert" or "buffer"?

Appreciate any insights, people. Know that it'd really help me, or those who have rubber allergy.

Sincere thanks for your time and kind help > < :)

TaLinkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
So after a bit more digging, it seems the "insert" between glass and steel band on the iPhone XS is present for the front only. There isn't an "insert" between the back glass and steel band of the phone. This is different from the iPhone X, which had this material for both front and back.

Anyone with any idea what this "insert" is made of? Plastic like the antenna lines? A composite? Rubber?

Appreciate any input. Thanks. :)

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
The plastic between the screen and body has been there since the iPhone 6 and was never present between the back glass and stainless steel on the X.

TaLinkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
The plastic between the screen and body has been there since the iPhone 6 and was never present between the back glass and stainless steel on the X.
There is something between the back glass and steel band on the iPhone X. Not sure if it's the same material/composition and purpose as the insert on the front (so you could be right in that it's not plastic), but there is definitely something there. Refer to 3:30 in the following video

Anyway, I'm interested in the XS, not the X. But good to know..
[automerge]1584961777[/automerge]

But thanks for your input! So the insert between the front glass and steel band is plastic? For sure? :)

Last edited:

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Oh I see what you meant. I didn't know the X had it on the back as well, but doesn't look like the same material as the one on the front to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.