Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karstenjensen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
My iMac 27" from 2015 badly needs to be replaced. I'm very keen un a buying a Mac Mini or preferable Mac Studio. I need two monitors but I simply can not afford two Apple Displays. Next to my iMac I have a very good 5K Dell Monitor that I'm quite fond of.

Due to my disabililty I need to be able to turn the brightness up and down on the keyboard. But are there any monitors that supports this? And are there monitors that "are made for use with Mac Studio"?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Almost any monitor will do, just choose the one you prefer based on the screen size, resolution, and features.

With regard to the brightness adjustments, many displays will work with the macOS built-in functionality with the keyboard shortcuts. For those displays that don't, there is a great little app called Monitor Control. It allows you to adjust brightness and volume on external displays with the keyboard shortcuts. If you have multiple displays, you simply move the cursor over to the screen you want to adjust and it will work with that screen independently of the other.

I have two LG displays that don't work with macOS's built-in keyboard shortcuts for brightness and volume and Brightness Control works perfectly.

The app is free and open source and can be downloaded here.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
My Mac-based Keychron keyboard is able to control the brightness of my LG and HP monitors, connected to my Mac Studio, via the free version of "BetterDisplay". The paid version has many additional features.

So…get any monitor you want and for which you're budgeted.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
My Mac-based Keychron keyboard is able to control the brightness of my LG and HP monitors, connected to my Mac Studio, via the free version of "BetterDisplay". The paid version has many additional features.

So…get any monitor you want and for which you're budgeted.

Also works with Dell monitors

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Almost any monitor will do, just choose the one you prefer based on the screen size, resolution, and features.

With regard to the brightness adjustments, many displays will work with the macOS built-in functionality with the keyboard shortcuts. For those displays that don't, there is a great little app called Monitor Control. It allows you to adjust brightness and volume on external displays with the keyboard shortcuts. If you have multiple displays, you simply move the cursor over to the screen you want to adjust and it will work with that screen independently of the other.

I have two LG displays that don't work with macOS's built-in keyboard shortcuts for brightness and volume and Brightness Control works perfectly.

The app is free and open source and can be downloaded here.
+1 on Monitor Control. I've been using it for a couple of years now and it's currently controlling my 27" LG and 27" Samsung QHD monitors for my M1 Studio - both brightness and sound.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I am using a Mac Studio monitor with my Studio switching from a Dell U38D18 curved wide-screen one, and never looked back.
The large, old monitor is now paired to my old Mac Pro 5,1 running with OCLP in my "Lair."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.