Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaCentauri

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2019
Norwich, United Kingdom
Great--I'll explore that---it probably is cable-related--but that's frustrating because the M8 is advertised as a USB-C monitor at 3840 x 2160. I'll post my findings here--thank you all for any help!
Try to plug only Samsung via USB C and unplug the TV. See if it changes the number of available retina resolutions, there should be HiDPI 2560x1440 available at least on any 4K monitor.

If this works, you might need to use Samsung as main monitor and the TV as extended monitor.

Reactions: greg1199S

greg1199S

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2022
Austin TX USA
I tried unplugging the LG TV HDMI, leaving the M8 attached via usb-c. Started the Mac Studio up and it would not see the M8. I tried several times. I finally plugged the TV back in and was able to “add a display” in the Display prefs. By the way, it seems that I have to “add” the M8 every time I either wake or start the Mac up. This can’t be normal.

I did a quick search for firmware updates for the M8; I think I found one. I’m going to try to install that and see if it changes anything for the better.

Oh and my Logitech Performance MX mouse is super jumpy and laggy on the M8, not so much on the LG. I may get one of the new Logi Mac mice-I think they play better with OS 12 than my older Performance MX. Thoughts?

So my 3 concerns so far with the Samsung M8:

1) low resolution
2) weird behavior when waking or restarting- needing to add it again.
3) jumpy laggy mouse behavior

Greg

AlphaCentauri

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2019
Norwich, United Kingdom
I tried unplugging the LG TV HDMI, leaving the M8 attached via usb-c. Started the Mac Studio up and it would not see the M8. I tried several times. I finally plugged the TV back in and was able to “add a display” in the Display prefs. By the way, it seems that I have to “add” the M8 every time I either wake or start the Mac up. This can’t be normal.

I did a quick search for firmware updates for the M8; I think I found one. I’m going to try to install that and see if it changes anything for the better.

Oh and my Logitech Performance MX mouse is super jumpy and laggy on the M8, not so much on the LG. I may get one of the new Logi Mac mice-I think they play better with OS 12 than my older Performance MX. Thoughts?

So my 3 concerns so far with the Samsung M8:

1) low resolution
2) weird behavior when waking or restarting- needing to add it again.
3) jumpy laggy mouse behavior

Greg
What cable are you using specifically?

BTW, Samsung is not particularly Mac friendly. LG and Dell are much better with compatibility, IMHO.

greg1199S

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2022
Austin TX USA
Right--the M8 should be fine with the Mac Studio.

The exact cable I'm using is a Gator USB-C 3.1. 10 ft. Backwards compatible to USB-C 2.0, 3.0
Packaging says max data transfer rate is 5GB/sec.

There is a small micro HDMI port input on the back of the M8--should I try to find a USB-C to micro HDMI and see if that helps? I need to reserve the Mac Studio HDMI output for the LG TV.

Last edited:

greg1199S

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2022
Austin TX USA
I think I may have figured out why my M8 resolution is limited, and my mouse cursor is jumpy/laggy. In the system profile, my M8 display does not show up in the "Displays" main tab. It DOES show up under "system report/Graphics/displays" but networked via Airplay! WIRELESS! :).

So---when time allows I'll look at the back panel connections closer. The 3 ports from left to right are:

Micro HDMI, USB-C in, and I "think" the 3rd USB-C is a USB output port.

So--I need to research if I can convert USB-C to micro HDMI. Again, I've got 6 TB3/4 (USB-C) outputs on the Mac Studio and one full-size HDMI port reserved for the LG TV. So, I need to be able to output a USB-C cable to the M8.

A peculiar detail---it seems the USB-C male cable end won't fully insert into the M8. Perhaps that's the problem? Again, super busy currently but will explore all that ASAP.

Has anybody successfully converted USB-C into Micro HDMI?

Greg

NK27

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2022
I’m using a pair of LG UltraFine 32UN880-B Ergo Monitors. They look great and you can purchase 2 for less than a single ASD.
Hi, are u using the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter to connect those monitors to the Mac Studio? I bought the Mac Studio and the LG Ergo 32" but cant get anything on the screen using either USB-C or HDMI. The listed LG model numbers (from Costco) are 8328800 and 32UN880-B.AUS). I believe it's the same model u have. Thx

mims00

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2022
I have a mac studio, and I'm using two Gigabyte G27Q; by default, those were set to 144 Hz by the studio, so I leave it like that. I understand two things high frequency uses more power from graphics, and the primary use is for Gamming, but all my life, I used 60 Hz on my old monitors, so I leave it like that; I don't know if I'm forcing too much graphics for just every day working but... I don't know. I am not sure what is the optimum setting yet.
how are your monitors attached ?
i'm reading G27Q specs as display port 1.2 which isn't 'supposed' to be supported.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
A peculiar detail---it seems the USB-C male cable end won't fully insert into the M8. Perhaps that's the problem? Again, super busy currently but will explore all that ASAP.
Some USB-C sockets can be quite tight - the front ports on my Studio require a very firm push before they go in the last smidge with a distinct 'click' - initially, I thought the ports weren't working.

Also - can you disable AirPlay and/or select the video input on the display?

dilinger

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
Does anybody know if i can put an LG monitor desktop stand to my Dell U3223QE ??
I got space issue and the Dell Stand is too tall, whereas LG is telescopic.

Thanks!

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
Sony A90K TV as monitor? I want buy that tv for movies but maybe I can use as monitor? burn issues? any experience on that TV? there's a 42 and 48 inch.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Sony A90K TV as monitor? I want buy that tv for movies but maybe I can use as monitor? burn issues? any experience on that TV? there's a 42 and 48 inch."

Are these 4k tv's?
I wouldn't want to use a 42" 1080p tv "as a monitor", unless it's on the other side of the room!

Reactions: ericwn

JaredJenkinsDesign

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2022
Before I upgraded to the Studio Display, I used a Philips 276E8VJSB which is a 27" 4K IPS monitor. Despite using scaling to get it to 2560x1440, I had zero performance issues running it with my Mac Studio and text was pretty sharp despite not being retina. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of a monitor such as USB-C charging, VESA compatibility (although there is an adapter for this monitor) or HDR but $250 for a 4K 10 bit (8 bit +FRC) IPS panel was pretty solid value. There are better monitors available now (I bought it in 2019) but it served me well.

Reactions: robotica

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
"Sony A90K TV as monitor? I want buy that tv for movies but maybe I can use as monitor? burn issues? any experience on that TV? there's a 42 and 48 inch."

Are these 4k tv's?
I wouldn't want to use a 42" 1080p tv "as a monitor", unless it's on the other side of the room!

OLED TV, PQ is amazing, this gamer guy do some good reviews about it.

Price $1200

I don't care much about gaming, more movies but maybe I can use it as monitor too. I don't want buy the Studio Display, I feel is old tech, I would buy it if had the same screen as the current macbook pros but is not! so is overpriced.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I've had the M8 for a few days. So far, so good. The only thing I don't like is the way the display mounts to the stand: It doesn't latch tight at the bottom. Or maybe I have a defective unit.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
I use 2 Lenovo p27u-20 thunderbolt 4 monitors. They are very good and offer a lot of connectivity options. I like the studio display but with only a single input it would not work for my set up which has 3/4 laptops and computers connected, both work and personal. I would recommend them. The go on sale quite regularly.

PsychoCenobite

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2014
I'm using the Dell UltraSharp 32" U3223QE with my new Mac Studio.

It's been a while since having a separate monitor - I've been use to iMacs for my last few desktops.

I've connected it with the USB-C cable but I think I missed some of the monitor setup options when I first turned both on. Everything on the screen was tiny when going through the setup of the Mac. I was able to get everything to look more the size I was expecting by going to System Settings / Displays and selecting the middle option (3008 x 1692) where you can change the display for Larger Text or More Space.

I'm assuming that's the correct thing to do but it does say "Using a scaled resolution may affect performance".

Also, I've kept the Colour profile on DELL U3223QE - is that best to leave as it is or should I change it to one of the othe options?

Finally, I now need to get a better desk light, so I'm considering a Quntis 52cm Light Bar. It looks like it should fit on the top of the Dell monitor.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I've connected it with the USB-C cable but I think I missed some of the monitor setup options when I first turned both on. Everything on the screen was tiny when going through the setup of the Mac. I was able to get everything to look more the size I was expecting by going to System Settings / Displays and selecting the middle option (3008 x 1692) where you can change the display for Larger Text or More Space.

I'm assuming that's the correct thing to do but it does say "Using a scaled resolution may affect performance".
I just got a Studio. It's connected to an M8 over HDMI. I went with the middle option, too. If there's a performance hit from doing that, I'm not noticing it.

PsychoCenobite

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2014
I just got a Studio. It's connected to an M8 over HDMI. I went with the middle option, too. If there's a performance hit from doing that, I'm not noticing it.
Thanks. Do you know if there is much benefit between the different cable options, i.e. USB-C vs HDMI?

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Thanks. Do you know if there is much benefit between the different cable options, i.e. USB-C vs HDMI?
Good question. I haven't tried USB-C yet. Assuming that the Studio and M8 both support HDMI 2.1, then you've got a 48 Gbps link, which will handle some pretty intense frame rates, resolutions, etc. Hopefully someone who has tried both will weigh in.

Steve156

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
I'm using a couple of BenQ QHD PhotoVue monitors, one 27" the other 24". The 24" is orientated vertically. I know there are some that would run screaming in horror of how the text is rendered but I've not seen anything that bothers me. QHD resolution fits my primarily photographic workflow well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.