Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thebeat07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
Hi all, I just bought a used Mac mini 2012, Core i5, 16gb ram with SSD. I was just wondering if there is any monitor out there that is closest to having a Retina display. I really don't know anything about buying monitors, but I just want it very crisp like a Retina display. Any brand is welcome (Dell, LG, Samsung, Sony etc..). Thanks!

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Apple uses good quality monitors for their Retina displays. But the difference is really the use of what's called "HiDPI". You can read about HiDPI at:
https://medium.com/elementaryos/hidpi-is-more-important-than-4k-b1b9bb110b43
or just search on your own.

Basically HiDPI is multiplying the normal pixel count by (in Apple's case) 2 horizontally and vertically and manipulating the now 4 pixels (vs. 1 before) to make a better-quality image.

So any high-quality monitor will do. However, if you wish to use a 4K UHD monitor (3840x2160), the 2012 Mini won't drive it at 60Hz. You can use "SwitchResX" software to increase the refresh rate over 30Hz (but not to 60Hz). You'd also have to enable the HiDPI mode.
https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...de-on-external-display-in-os-x-10-9-mavericks

For Sierra and higher, I think you have to disable SIP to run the command mentioned in the previous link.

So there's a bit of work involved and there's no guarantee that all of this will work to your satisfaction. I doubt that you would be able to easily find a place to look and see what this will look like. Apple stores sell a LG true 4K (4096x2304) monitor but they won't have a 2012 Mini to test it with. The 2014 Mini, which is the "current" model may be off in a lonely corner someplace and I doubt they would go through the trouble of letting you test that as the LG monitor has a USB-C port, not a Mini-DisplayPort port. The 2012 and 2014 Mini's also have different iGPU's. If you can live with a lower apparent resolution than 1980x1080 pixels (the screen real estate of a 3860x2160 after HiDPI), then you can get a higher refresh rate.

Last edited:

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I doubt you are going to find a non-retina monitor that does a passable imitation of a retina monitor.

You can't subdivide a pixel.

(Cue examples of tech wizards doing exactly that. :rolleyes: )

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Owner of a 2012 Mini Server, more in my offices, all have been mated to a high-res display. They are not workstations, rather part of video ingest workflows that run alongside workstations, mated to a second DP input port. Agreed with Miat that you're not going to get "retina" quality due to the GPU limitations in these Minis. What I will recommend is get the highest-pitch display you can afford with an eye to using the display with another computer in the future, offering what I have used a Mini with in the past and present. You've got maxed-out RAM, which boosts the available VRAM.

The displays I recommend with a Mini is the Dell P2415Q, with IMO one of the tightest pixel pitches available in a modern display under $1k - we have several $2k+ Eizo displays to compare it to. A decent second option is the 27" display trio of BenQ BL2711U/Dell P2715Q/Dell U2718Q but I'll only recommend the first two in this group as all of the U2715Q displays we've tested had a nasty green hue and there's plenty of smack about this display with plenty of bad reviews; the pixel pitch of the BenQ and Dell is the same as BenQ's AOC division makes the panels.

Next, get a decent, DP 1.2 compliant mDP>DP cable from StarTech, Belkin, or Accell and look for the fastest thoughput per channel (5.4 GHz per lane). You didn't offer which OS you're using, but you'll need DP 1.2/1.2a at a minimum as the Dell and BenQ displays will require DP 1.2 hardware to work with Sierra/High Sierra. Ditch the DP cabling that ships with the displays, only our Eizos shipped with compliant cables - I know better now.

Don't use SwitchResX - you won't need it. I've used SRX, with a compliant DP cable SRX is not necessary. I don't use HDMI with my Minis. I liked SRX when I didn't know any better while using the non-compliant "stock" DP cables.

Run the display at it's "native" resolution. Scaling the display's resolution will just choke the Mini's GPU, just as it does any retina-capable Mac at any resolution other than "native" and 4k (due in large part to pixel doubling and insufficient throughput with DP 1.2 hardware - I've got an iMP attached to a 4k display and see a bit of "choking" when pixel doubling so that I work with either "native" or 4k resolutions on either of my attached displays...).

Reactions: Thebeat07

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
I wouldn't use a 4k display on a 2102 mac mini. I would suggest at max, a 1440P display on it.

Reactions: Miat

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
The smaller the monitor, the crisper it will appear (assuming both have the same physical resolution). Even more so, if you run it in HiDPI mode, I.e. a 24“ 4K monitor looks really nice when displaying FullHD HiDPI.

But as said before, that stretches the 2012 mini to its limits (arguably even beyond).

Reactions: Miat

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
Retina Apple displays go as low as 218 DPI for the 5K iMac. More here.

A 4K 24'' monitor will give you 183.58 DPI which is close enough. Personally, I'm happy with the Dell P2415Q.

For the Mac Mini 2012 a 1440p monitor would be a better idea though. Using a monitor below 60Hz is horrible.

Sarpanch

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2013
SoCal
Hi all, I just bought a used Mac mini 2012, Core i5, 16gb ram with SSD. I was just wondering if there is any monitor out there that is closest to having a Retina display. I really don't know anything about buying monitors, but I just want it very crisp like a Retina display. Any brand is welcome (Dell, LG, Samsung, Sony etc..). Thanks!

Not sure what's your budget, and use case, but I picked up a Dell U2518D 25" 1440p monitor on sale from Best Buy. I do light photo-editing for my personal use, and was looking for a 1440p IPS monitor and so far I have been very impressed.

Best Buy in US had this monitor on sale for 200 USD a few times so I consider it excellent value for the money. Hope this helps.

Thebeat07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
Thank you all!
[doublepost=1530676609][/doublepost]
Owner of a 2012 Mini Server, more in my offices, all have been mated to a high-res display. They are not workstations, rather part of video ingest workflows that run alongside workstations, mated to a second DP input port. Agreed with Miat that you're not going to get "retina" quality due to the GPU limitations in these Minis. What I will recommend is get the highest-pitch display you can afford with an eye to using the display with another computer in the future, offering what I have used a Mini with in the past and present. You've got maxed-out RAM, which boosts the available VRAM.

The displays I recommend with a Mini is the Dell P2415Q, with IMO one of the tightest pixel pitches available in a modern display under $1k - we have several $2k+ Eizo displays to compare it to. A decent second option is the 27" display trio of BenQ BL2711U/Dell P2715Q/Dell U2718Q but I'll only recommend the first two in this group as all of the U2715Q displays we've tested had a nasty green hue and there's plenty of smack about this display with plenty of bad reviews; the pixel pitch of the BenQ and Dell is the same as BenQ's AOC division makes the panels.

Next, get a decent, DP 1.2 compliant mDP>DP cable from StarTech, Belkin, or Accell and look for the fastest thoughput per channel (5.4 GHz per lane). You didn't offer which OS you're using, but you'll need DP 1.2/1.2a at a minimum as the Dell and BenQ displays will require DP 1.2 hardware to work with Sierra/High Sierra. Ditch the DP cabling that ships with the displays, only our Eizos shipped with compliant cables - I know better now.

Don't use SwitchResX - you won't need it. I've used SRX, with a compliant DP cable SRX is not necessary. I don't use HDMI with my Minis. I liked SRX when I didn't know any better while using the non-compliant "stock" DP cables.

Run the display at it's "native" resolution. Scaling the display's resolution will just choke the Mini's GPU, just as it does any retina-capable Mac at any resolution other than "native" and 4k (due in large part to pixel doubling and insufficient throughput with DP 1.2 hardware - I've got an iMP attached to a 4k display and see a bit of "choking" when pixel doubling so that I work with either "native" or 4k resolutions on either of my attached displays...).

Thank you campy guy!!

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
The displays I recommend with a Mini is the Dell P2415Q
I have that one as well, but I was not satisfied how the (Late 2012) mini did (or better: did not!) play along with it. I used to switch between monitor inputs at times and quite reliably after a couple days or weeks I had to reset the monitor (pull power plug) or reboot the mini, because the monitor did not light up / the mini did not find it anymore. Same behaviour with an LG monitor with TB input.

Unfortunately you need DP (via TB) on a mini for higher resolutions and the Late 2012 mini is DP1.1 only. It might work as long as the mini is the only computer connected, but otherwise it can become a real PITA. I'm still pondering whether to get an eGPU, replace the 2012 mini by a 2014 model or wait for a potential revamp.

Edit: Personal recommendation is a curved(!) 21:9 monitor (3440x1440 can be handled by the mini). Once you got used to one, you can never go back :-D

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I have that one as well, but I was not satisfied how the (Late 2012) mini did (or better: did not!) play along with it. I used to switch between monitor inputs at times and quite reliably after a couple days or weeks I had to reset the monitor (pull power plug) or reboot the mini, because the monitor did not light up / the mini did not find it anymore. Same behaviour with an LG monitor with TB input.

Unfortunately you need DP (via TB) on a mini for higher resolutions and the Late 2012 mini is DP1.1 only. It might work as long as the mini is the only computer connected, but otherwise it can become a real PITA. I'm still pondering whether to get an eGPU, replace the 2012 mini by a 2014 model or wait for a potential revamp.
The displays I called out have an OSM setting to switch to MST/DP 1.1a. 1440p looks just fine.

I stuck to my suggestions since they're the only displays we've connected to 2012 Minis. The 24" and 27" displays work in our production workflows, since they don't have speakers and the displays are mounted on arms, the well-balanced nature of the Dells and BenQs allow them to be used in portrait mode (1080p max) but great for reviewing documents and application logs...

One of the Minis in my main office is dual boot with Win7 installed, the Mini with Intel's updated drivers for that GPU make the Mini an even better machine with Windows installed and making me wish Apple would update the Mini's video drivers. :mad:

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
The displays I called out have an OSM setting to switch to MST/DP 1.1a. 1440p looks just fine.
Of course I switched the monitors to DP1.1. And it works just fine as long as nothing than the mini is connected. Troubles start if I switch a couple of times to one of the two other computers I’m using on the same monitor. The mini then becomes a diva and is not content to have the secondary monitor still available.

Also it took an update from ElCap to HighSierra to run 1440p flawlessly.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Of course I switched the monitors to DP1.1. And it works just fine as long as nothing than the mini is connected. Troubles start if I switch a couple of times to one of the two other computers I’m using on the same monitor. The mini then becomes a diva and is not content to have the secondary monitor still available.

Also it took an update from ElCap to HighSierra to run 1440p flawlessly.
No worries, I wasn't questioning, just offering. But, I have a note from my own recent experiences that might be relevant...

I recently invested in LG displays, two for my home office and a few for a field office from a deal that I couldn't pass up. My Minis aren't connected to any LG displays, but we do have Intel NUCs and those HDMI Intel "dongle" computers connected to them as "secondary" devices with a Mac laptop or iMP as the "primary" computer.

On the three workstations I'm on, I have noted while on the the Mac I'm using the LG "OnScreen Control" utility app is "on/enabled" when the LG is powered on but not selected in the OSM, which I don't see in the BenQ or Dell displays. I have a 32" LG display attached to my iMP right now - it was "off" and the OnScreen Control app was "off/greyed out", then I turned the display on and while the HDMI port is the active port the OnScreen Control app turned "on/enabled" (not what I'd expect to see). A bit troubling, I then turned the LG display off using its joystick but the OnScreen Control app is still showing the display as "on/enabled" - I just physically unplugged the LG display from my iMP to see the "flash" associated with a change in mode for Displays and disable the LG OnScreen Control app. I never see this behavior with any other brand of displays. I've stuck to Eizo, Dell, and BenQ for years and I am now leaning to bringing my LG displays back for a refund - what you've described in what I'm calling a bit of instability I never see in my listed brands but what I am seeing in the LG displays we've used for only a few months only reinforces my feeling that LG should stick to TVs. Thanks for your insights...

BTW - sorry for any perception for hijacking this thread if there is any...

Reactions: Neodym

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
So far I have good experiences with LG (apart from the current problem) and tend to prefer their monitors over other brands.

As the problems also occured with Dell's P2415Q, it might be more on the mini's end than on the monitor's, but your tip regarding the onscreen manager from LG is worth investigating (not sure currently whether I have it installed on my mini or not). Thanks for the hint!

Sometimes it's the smaller things: I suddenly got problems with my keyboard, getting switched keycodes (e.g. "<" when pressing "^"). Looked like I had a wrong keyboard layout from another language active. Support recommended to do the whole installation shebang from ground up again and had no real idea.

Until I found out by chance that the problem resulted from the keyboard being connected via USB & wireless at the same time on the computer. o.Ô

With multiple computers in use and trying to find the problem with the mini and its monitors, I accidentally connected the keyboard's USB cable to the USB hub connected to the computer, instead of to a USB port only meant for recharging the keyboard. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.