Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
How important is it to own an instagram account when looking for a job and the employer needs to see it? Why would he want to have a look at it? What could it possibly mean to him?
If a designer candidate states of not owning an instagram account could that be a minus?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
If an employer asked me my social network details, I’ll throw the job in his / her face and walk out. My personal life is personal. Nobody forces me to get access.

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
They likely just want to see how popular you may be on SM. It’s also where so many lazy people can conveniently rip off others’ work. Rather than scour the interweb for designs to rip off, some just follow a bunch of creatives on SM as their go-to rip off source.

If you can’t be bothered to maintain an Insta account, invest in your own website of your work.

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
Some places like to get an idea of personality when deciding if someone's a good fit. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to ask, as long as it's not required.

Being a little cynical though, it could allow for racial or other bias to creep in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.