Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Not sure if 2005-2010 is a requirement or a suggestion, but here is a list of older Mac games that I love and still play:

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (2002) - While I have the Original and WCII, WCIII really got me hooked in the WC lore. Such a fun game and I love the custom games. I come back to this every couple years, and play it for a month or two.

Warcraft III: Frozen Throne (2003) - Almost as fun as RoC. I listed this separate, because I don't play the expansion nearly as much as the original.

Castles II: Siege and Conquest (1994 Mac CS-ROM version) - I come back to this about once a year or two. I purchased the Mac version in the 90's and still have it. I sometimes play it on my 2001 iBook G3 that I still own. A few years back, I purchased the version on Steam so I could play on my modern Mac, but it was based off of the 1992 DOS floppy disk version, which sucked. I decided to install a MacOS 9 emulator to play the original Mac version on my modern Mac.

WoW (Classic) - not sure if this would be considered old, but I play it sometimes.

WoW (Retail) - Again, not sure if this would be considered old, but I will play it sometimes. I used to play it a lot especially mid 2000's to mid 2010's. Playing for the sub non-stop them, for over 10 years. In 2016, my youngest daughter was born premature and both her and my wife was in the hospital for months. I slowed my playing then, and took a break right before Legion. A few years later, I played again, doing most of the Legion content, and some of the Shadowlands content. Took another break, not sure how long, maybe forever.

Sim Tower (1994) - Play this every couple years. Just a fun game. There was a sequel called Yoot Tower, basically the same as Sim Tower, just more polished. It was released on a bunch of platforms, I got the iPad version.

Chuck Yeager's Air Combat (1991) - I play this every once in a while, only for a day or so, not for very long. It is super fun, and the custom games can be insane.

A-10 Attack! (1995) - Better graphics than Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, but like it, I usually just play this for a few hours, then take a break for a few years.

Lux (2002) - Similar to the board game RISK, but with different maps. I have not play Lux in a while because the game RISK was launched on the tvOS back in 2017, and had multiple maps and nice graphics and sound. Plus, I could play from my recliner chair. A few months ago, the developer of the RISK game stopped supporting the tvOS version and pulled it from the tvOS App Store (tvOS gaming developers are leaving the platform like crazy). So, I might end up going back to Lux for my RISK habit.

There are probably a few others that I play every now and then, but those are the ones that I go back to the most.

Reactions: Huntn

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I was playing some of the earlier Lego Star Wars and Indiana Jones games. I didn’t play often but when I did, I was with it for a days. The Tiny Bang Story was fun, too.

I haven’t had an “older” Mac in a while so that’s all I can really remember.

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
While not in that specific time frame, I've been playing Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 for a nostalgia fix. There has been some debate among hardcore fans about whether the "enhanced versions" were actually an improvement over the originals, but I have throughly enjoyed the new releases. Getting hyped for Baldur's Gate 3 (which is still in early access for the Mac) made me want to go back and enjoy two of my favorite classic RPGs. Oddly enough, I find BG1 to be more enjoyable than B2G, despite its more simplistic design.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hey,

What older mac games (2005-2010) do you still enjoy and play?
I was going to ask this person what games do they like, but he’s not been around for 6 months.
Not sure if 2005-2010 is a requirement or a suggestion, but here is a list of older Mac games that I love and still play:

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (2002) - While I have the Original and WCII, WCIII really got me hooked in the WC lore. Such a fun game and I love the custom games. I come back to this every couple years, and play it for a month or two.

Warcraft III: Frozen Throne (2003) - Almost as fun as RoC. I listed this separate, because I don't play the expansion nearly as much as the original.

Castles II: Siege and Conquest (1994 Mac CS-ROM version) - I come back to this about once a year or two. I purchased the Mac version in the 90's and still have it. I sometimes play it on my 2001 iBook G3 that I still own. A few years back, I purchased the version on Steam so I could play on my modern Mac, but it was based off of the 1992 DOS floppy disk version, which sucked. I decided to install a MacOS 9 emulator to play the original Mac version on my modern Mac.

WoW (Classic) - not sure if this would be considered old, but I play it sometimes.

WoW (Retail) - Again, not sure if this would be considered old, but I will play it sometimes. I used to play it a lot especially mid 2000's to mid 2010's. Playing for the sub non-stop them, for over 10 years. In 2016, my youngest daughter was born premature and both her and my wife was in the hospital for months. I slowed my playing then, and took a break right before Legion. A few years later, I played again, doing most of the Legion content, and some of the Shadowlands content. Took another break, not sure how long, maybe forever.

Sim Tower (1994) - Play this every couple years. Just a fun game. There was a sequel called Yoot Tower, basically the same as Sim Tower, just more polished. It was released on a bunch of platforms, I got the iPad version.

Chuck Yeager's Air Combat (1991) - I play this every once in a while, only for a day or so, not for very long. It is super fun, and the custom games can be insane.

A-10 Attack! (1995) - Better graphics than Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, but like it, I usually just play this for a few hours, then take a break for a few years.

Lux (2002) - Similar to the board game RISK, but with different maps. I have not play Lux in a while because the game RISK was launched on the tvOS back in 2017, and had multiple maps and nice graphics and sound. Plus, I could play from my recliner chair. A few months ago, the developer of the RISK game stopped supporting the tvOS version and pulled it from the tvOS App Store (tvOS gaming developers are leaving the platform like crazy). So, I might end up going back to Lux for my RISK habit.

There are probably a few others that I play every now and then, but those are the ones that I go back to the most.
I have fond memories of Chuck Yeager Air Combat. Used to do that multiplayer. What do you play it on? I noticed your list of older Mac hardware in your signature. :)

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I keep finding myself disappointed because so many Mac games on GoG or Steam that I own won’t play on 64-bit OS, let alone on M1 hardware (don’t want to veer into the territory of that other mega-thread)!

Really need to go back and grab an older Pismo/TiBook for many of those early 00’s games!

bkmoore773

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2022
I just got Falcon 4.0 running on my Powermac G5 under classic. Now all I need is a good HOTAS throttle and stick controller that works with OS X. Any recommendations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.