Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bengalliboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2023
Hi
I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro and am able to install latest Mac High Sierra 10.13.06
My problem is I need to download some app and it request 10.15 or higher that this machine will not be supported. I read on the net that there is a way to install Big Sur as unsupported and I tried both the patched sur (it does not run or open saying is not able to run on this version) and the patched Sur from Github as giving error to by pass the internal check to proceed for the big sur

What is there for me to use so I can update this OS version ? and please let me know how do I install Big sur or anything so I can run the latest Xcode on it? I need this to work as am developing an iOS app and Xcode will not work on this old version

Please suggest urgent and thank you for your help

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
OpenCore Legacy Patcher is the best patcher to use on this era of Macs. Not sure how you haven't come across it yet as it is the primary one that the media/YouTubers talk about. I've used it to get Big Sur-Ventura on multiple Macs of mine, including my 15" Retina Pro which has been running Ventura since .0 with no issues.

This is a step-by-step instruction guide that I wrote for someone else here on MR, but it will work for anyone:

Reactions: TheShortTimer

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Hi
I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro and am able to install latest Mac High Sierra 10.13.06
My problem is I need to download some app and it request 10.15 or higher that this machine will not be supported. I read on the net that there is a way to install Big Sur as unsupported and I tried both the patched sur (it does not run or open saying is not able to run on this version) and the patched Sur from Github as giving error to by pass the internal check to proceed for the big sur

What is there for me to use so I can update this OS version ? and please let me know how do I install Big sur or anything so I can run the latest Xcode on it? I need this to work as am developing an iOS app and Xcode will not work on this old version

Please suggest urgent and thank you for your help
This is the official OCLP site:
You will need a 16GB USB Memory Stick, download the OCLP app, and run it, to download and make an Apple macOS Big Sur installer, writing the OCLP code to the USB after the USB install finishes.
You will then be able to start up from the USB by holding down the option key at startup.

bengalliboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2023
Awesome! I am able to install finally Catalina latest, however for some reason it is taking lot of memory or resource when I share screen on Skype. IT is really really slow. I know the machine is capable of running fine using the same hardware in Linux but macos does not. Any idea what I should do? I have 16 GB (8 GB x2 /Slot) and running Catalina on SSD that has 1 TB , did not do any swap or any other config. Please suggest!!!!
Thank you again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.