Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Have an iphone 13 mini. I would normally charge my iphone in an outlet but if no access, I would use a very old anker I believe 5000 mah powerbank with it. The issue though is this powerbank is really old... at least 5 years old at the absolute minimum but more likely 10 years or more and I'm sure it's older than that. I notice the last time I charged it full, it took several hours at least. Before that, it was much shorter, that means that powerbank is no good right? I remember after taking hours to charge it, the next time I tried to use it which was weeks or maybe a month or two later, there was no power. Back then I remember that was never the case and there was still power on it.

Does this mean this anker 5000 mah powerbank is useless now? I don't have the exact name of this powerbank but I recall it was 5000 mah and it looked like something like below except it's very old. Wouldn't surprise me if this anker powerbank I have is 10 years old or longer.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I bought the MagSafe battery mainly to use during an intercontinental flight, airports, holidays and for this it has been brilliant. I still find uses for it throughout the week also i.e. streaming, charging APP2, top up toward the night. As long as you're aware that it functions more so as a battery extender than a powerbank per se it could be something to consider?

Reactions: mikext

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Have an iphone 13 mini. I would normally charge my iphone in an outlet but if no access, I would use a very old anker I believe 5000 mah powerbank with it. The issue though is this powerbank is really old... at least 5 years old at the absolute minimum but more likely 10 years or more and I'm sure it's older than that. I notice the last time I charged it full, it took several hours at least. Before that, it was much shorter, that means that powerbank is no good right? I remember after taking hours to charge it, the next time I tried to use it which was weeks or maybe a month or two later, there was no power. Back then I remember that was never the case and there was still power on it.

Does this mean this anker 5000 mah powerbank is useless now? I don't have the exact name of this powerbank but I recall it was 5000 mah and it looked like something like below except it's very old. Wouldn't surprise me if this anker powerbank I have is 10 years old or longer.

I use and really like these: I have several of them, I use them everyday to randomly charge my two 15 pro max iPhones. I usually carry two with me daily but only need one as one will charge my 15 pro max at least 3-4 times. I’ve not gone that far to test. They charge quickly and are very reliable. Highly recommend… They recharge fairly quickly as well.

AppleWes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2013

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
2027-7.png

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
What about your laptop and if so, which laptop you have?

‘Have a Dell XPS and it does charge it. Not sure if it would bring it to full charge from empty but it would give you hours of extra use. It brought my 12.9 ipad pro from 40% to 100% quickly and had plenty of power left over.

The Anker 737 is heavy and you won’t want to carry in your pocket.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
‘Have a Dell XPS and it does charge it. Not sure if it would bring it to full charge from empty but it would give you hours of extra use. It brought my 12.9 ipad pro from 40% to 100% quickly and had plenty of power left over.

The Anker 737 is heavy and you won’t want to carry in your pocket.
You also have a dell xps? If so, which model? I have the xps 15 9520 with i7-12700H and nvidia 3050.

I don't think it's possible it would give the laptop a few hours of usage though unless you mean xps battery is low?

Say I connect the anker powerbank to my laptop in these 2 situations

Laptop 100% battery. How long would the anker last before it goes out?

Laptop 20% battery. How long would the anker last before it goes out? About how much percentage would it increase the 20% to about? I'm guessing at best 70%?

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
My imuto X6L Pro 30000mAh block is still going strong after about five years. First started using it with my iP6 (iirc)

Newer version seems about the same (27000mAh, but charges to 100% much faster (mine takes half a day to charge to 100%, and still indefinitely stays @~100% until I start tapping it)).

Never had a problem taking it carry-on.

Rarely need to use it; great for off-grid backpacking, etc. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.