Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abu_Khulzat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2016
I used T9 for 6 years and was quick with it, but I can easily type faster one handed on a full keyboard than I ever could with predictive T9.

You said that you hadn't tried my suggestion because you couldn't be bothered, now you're saying you've tried it? I know my suggestion works, as I use it for a similar situation.

Also, why going off on a random tangent saying we're taking it personally? That's irrelevant and incorrect, we're not taking it personally.
I think you misunderstood me at some point. I didn't say I couldn't be bothered

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Abu, one more thing...
i currently use swype.
its similar.
yesterday on a plane my wife was looking at me use swype to input a message before take off.
she politely handed me her phone and asked me to get swype downloaded to her iPhone.

FurbyUK

Suspended
Jul 9, 2016
Up North
Abu, one more thing...
i currently use swype.
its similar.
yesterday on a plane my wife was looking at me use swipe to input a message before take off.
she politely handed me her phone and asked me to get swipe downloaded to her iPhone.

Word flow is better. It has a 1 handed mode.

Reactions: jpn

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
thanks!
i will take a look at word flow

edited:
looked for it in the japanese app store: its not available in the japanese app store.
is available in the usa store it seems, however.

Last edited:

MS_Hedrick

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2016
What prevents Apple from adding T9 feature to the dialer app?

A patent

T9 is owned by the same company as swype. This same company owns the technology behind the original Siri.

You likely won't see Apple ever licensing T9 or swype, and I believe it's something beyond Apple having to pay for the tech.

An App from the App Store would seem your best bet.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What prevents Apple from adding T9 feature to the dialer app?

A patent

T9 is owned by the same company as swype. This same company owns the technology behind the original Siri.

You likely won't see Apple ever licensing T9 or swype, and I believe it's something beyond Apple having to pay for the tech.

An App from the App Store would seem your best bet.
But Apple is using Siri. And Apple uses various other things that are patented by others.

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
T9 in a dialer app is essential and it is a standard on all Android devices. Why Apple is not adding such a basic feature to its phone app? I used to use Kuai Dial tweak on a jailbroken device, so that was so much easier, so much more user friendly experience on the phone app.

What should users do to make apple add these kind of features to iOS?

Do you guys read before posting? I told that since you can't make the third party dialer app a default one, using it doesn't solve the issue. Even Apple "doesn't like" to have apps that duplicate functions of an existing one. So it's much better to have one app for calling instead of two or three.

Where in your original post did you state that you can't make a third party app a default one? Did you even read your own post?

In any event, Apple will not be introducing a T9 dialler if they have not done so in 10 years. Get over it or get a different phone.

Reactions: FurbyUK

Abu_Khulzat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2016
Where in your original post did you state that you can't make a third party app a default one? Did you even read your own post?

In any event, Apple will not be introducing a T9 dialler if they have not done so in 10 years. Get over it or get a different phone.
I said that in one of later posts.

Thanks for your prophecy...

MS_Hedrick

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2016
But Apple is using Siri. And Apple uses various other things that are patented by others.

Yeah. Perhaps I shouldn't have leaned so heavily on the patent. I think I was trying to show irony in the fact that Apple already had a relationship with Nuance. It would be one stop shopping from Nuance if Apple wanted to add T9 and/or swype.

So if it's not a licensing issue, what is it? Nuance claims on their site that 4 billion handsets are equipped with T9. That can't be news to Apple. BTW, Nuance bought T9 the year the first iPhone was released.

All I'm left with is they don't want it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah. Perhaps I shouldn't have leaned so heavily on the patent. I think I was trying to show irony in the fact that Apple already had a relationship with Nuance. It would be one stop shopping from Nuance if Apple wanted to add T9 and/or swype.

So if it's not a licensing issue, what is it? Nuance claims on their site that 4 billion handsets are equipped with T9. That can't be news to Apple. BTW, Nuance bought T9 the year the first iPhone was released.

That's basically it, Apple basically doesn't see T9 as something that fits with their vision of smartphone software, as is the case with various other things that are one way in iOS (or aren't even there in iOS) while differently in other OSs.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
It will come, I am sure. It's just the matter if time. Apple gives it's customers features in portions. iPhone already many features that Android had for long time. This will be there too
Not a chance. Apple has absolutely no interest in adding a legacy feature from 1990s feature phones when they believe they have a significantly more intuitive UX already.

FurbyUK

Suspended
Jul 9, 2016
Up North

Nuance probably bought it thinking Apple would want to licence it and generate them money.

Also, equipped on 4 billion handsets does not mean used by 4 billion.

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
Guys did you ever use T9? Yeah maybe you used like for a 5 minutes, Of course for the first time you will think that there is no need of this function. But if you will use it for a long time, believe me you will like this function. First time when I took iPhone I was also thinking that there is no need of it, but when I came to Samsung I really loved T9, now I came back to iPhone, I am really missing that function, it will help in the situation in which you need to dial fast to the any person, it is better just write first letters of the persons name rather than searching it in the contacts

I used t9 back in the day. I hated it, I also hated the predictive text that went along with it. I prefer the full keyboard.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
What prevents Apple from adding category management to the iOS address book ?

What prevents Apple from adding a "Block Anonymous callers" for iOS on the iPhone ?

What prevents Apple from adding an optional "Turn WIFI 100 % off" switch to the iOS 11 control center ?

Reactions: Shirasaki

Soom

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2009
late reply, but I totally agree with you - T9 is such a necessary and basic feature of any dialer, that actuay has 9 buttons!!! so much faster to find and call a contact, than goong through contacts list. I stopped believing Apple actually care, so I’m usimg a 3rd party software. unfortunately most 3d party apps lack other features, like copy/paste a number, or edit it in the text field... so - we are doomed basically

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
late reply, but I totally agree with you - T9 is such a necessary and basic feature of any dialer, that actuay has 9 buttons!!! so much faster to find and call a contact, than goong through contacts list. I stopped believing Apple actually care, so I’m usimg a 3rd party software. unfortunately most 3d party apps lack other features, like copy/paste a number, or edit it in the text field... so - we are doomed basically
Somehow "doomed" is pretty far from what would be applicable to something like this.

johnyeros

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2018
Stumble upon this old post LOL so much fun reading it after LTT mention T9 dailer.
I use T9 on my work VOIP phone because you know why? It isn't touchscreen.

But ask your this question...

You're asking APPLE to buy license to add a features that might not be use by people (T9) — or Apple can do what Apple does best and let the dev develope it and then profit 40% off. which way make more sense to Apple ? LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.