Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
A while back, I used this program called YTD Video Downloader that i installed on my windows computer. I would copy/paste the link of the youtube video... whether it was a video or song... then it would download it pretty fast. Then i would i believe change the song format to where i could play it on winamp on my computer. Then i transferred a lot of these songs to my iphone via itunes to play music there.

But a while back, I noticed the youtubedownloader program no longer worked. Im not sure if it asked me to upgrade to the new version or not.

But can someone tell me what software/program i can use on my windows ten laptop where i could download videos/songs and save them on my laptop? And also use it to transfer to itunes and then to my iphone? Thing is i want to make sure the program is safe and doesn't have malware which is what im concerned about. I know the YTD Video Downloader program a while back i used had no issues with my computer.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Use what is tried and true: Firefox with the Video DownloadHelper plug-in. This has been a proven YouTube video download solution for probably 15+ years.

It has a number of options to explore such as converting to another video file format or to extract audio only.

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
Anyone know about TYD Video Downloader though? I sitll have this program on my computer which i used a while back but i never updated it so it didn't work anymore.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Anyone know about TYD Video Downloader though? I sitll have this program on my computer which i used a while back but i never updated it so it didn't work anymore.
I used that until (great extension app) recently when i found out they tracked me, but Edge blocked their activity, this was in 2019, so delete the extension.
i have not found an alternative and really do need one since everything is still active and accessible now online.

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
How did you find out it tracked you? I just never used it in a while and then was going to download some song/video off youtube and then notice it said i had to download a new version because the one i had was too old etc.

I mean, im sure tons of ppl want to download video/song from youtube and save it to their iphone or computer right? Again i want to download it for my computer because i rather play the songs on a winamp playlist as oppose to playing the song on the youtube playlist etc. And of course play it on my iphone etc.

HDFan

macrumors 604
Jun 30, 2007
Use what is tried and true: Firefox with the Video DownloadHelper plug-in.

Great find. It has one major issue though, the vp9 to mp4 converter is poor. It added a sort of a film over the clip, and the detail was lost with lots of artifacts and blotches. The solution was to download the vp9 and then do a ffmpeg lossless conversion.

sgeorges

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2021
The switch to all-html5 and ssl made some of those programs non-functional. But as others have noted, it's actually even easier now. There are many browser plug-ins that can do this and on some cases you can literally just right click and save-as (not on youtube)

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
What about the original

Again i used this years ago with no issue... so it should be fine right? Again main concern is malware/keylogger/virus free etc.

fabnor

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2021
I personally use Fabnor which is an online video downloader through which you can download unlimited songs & videos from any website to your PC or mobile for free. Never faced any problem while using it.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I've used 4K Video Downloader (www.4kdownload.com ) on my Macs for a few years and it's reasonably good. There is a Windows version which I'd assume to have much the same functionality.

popup

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2022
A while back, I used this program called YTD Video Downloader that i installed on my windows computer. I would copy/paste the link of the youtube video... whether it was a video or song... then it would download it pretty fast. Then i would i believe change the song format to where i could play it on winamp on my computer. Then i transferred a lot of these songs to my iphone via itunes to play music there.

But a while back, I noticed the youtubedownloader program no longer worked. Im not sure if it asked me to upgrade to the new version or not.

But can someone tell me what software/program i can use on my windows ten laptop where i could download videos/songs and save them on my laptop? And also use it to transfer to itunes and then to my iphone? Thing is i want to make sure the program is safe and doesn't have malware which is what im concerned about. I know the YTD Video Downloader program a while back i used had no issues with my computer.

With YTD you can update executing yt-dlp -U and it will work again. There is also a Windows executable of YTD which works fine in Windows command line with the same options and switches like in Linux in my case.

./yt-dlp --help
Usage: yt-dlp [OPTIONS] URL [URL...]

Options:
General Options:
-h, --help Print this help text and exit
--version Print program version and exit
-U, --update

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.