Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minimiggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I am currently in the middle of ripping all of my 2000 cds to hard drive. I am ripping the cds to Apple Lossless ALAC. I am using dBpoweramp for macOS. Once the music is ripped, I have been using iTunes and Plex mainly.

Along with the standard id3 fields (Track Name, Artist, Album name), I am also adding Track ISRC, Album UPC, Album Catalog# & Musicbrainz ID.

I have realised that media players and cataloging software can't display these extra tags. If it isn't in the list of standard iTunes tags, them it can't be displayed. Even right clicking on the file in finder and clicking get info doesn't display the extra info.

It seams I have wasted my effort in adding all of the extra info to the music files.

I would love to find a cataloging/media player that can display the extra tags.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Metadatics can edit everything.
It's the best I have found: Batch renaming, tagging from filename and vice versa, tag manipulation... etc.
I use iTunes for Playback (Retroactive). Although it can't display all infos, I like to have/keep as many tags as possible when buying/converting music.

Attachments

• Metadatics.jpg
    Metadatics.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
FYI iTunes is able to read/manipulate quite a lot of tags, not obviously accessible. I use many for smart playlists or for scripts in iTunes.
Here is a list of all tags iTunes can handle.
I misuse some of these tags for my own purposes like adding the Publisher/Label to have access in iTunes to it.

Attachments

• iTunes.sdef.jpg
    iTunes.sdef.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 114
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.