Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuart in Oz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Does anyone know what resolution the iPad Mini 6 displays at on an external monitor via the USB-C port? I can’t find any details anywhere in the forums or on the web.

I know it mirrors the primary display, it doesn’t extend it, but does it give pin-sharp display on a 1440 monitor, for instance, or does it rescale and look ordinary if the mirrored external monitor is a significantly different resolution to inbuilt display? Does anyone have any first-hand experience?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have the Mini 6 and the 2021 12.9 M1 Pro. Connecting both to an LG 4K monitor, I can't see any difference in the displayed images, either with standard mirror view of the display or when playing 4K video utilizing the full widescreen display. My monitor doesn't explicitly show quality values but I couldn't see a difference looking at the displays.

rmanbike

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
I have the Mini 6 and the 2021 12.9 M1 Pro. Connecting both to an LG 4K monitor, I can't see any difference in the displayed images, either with standard mirror view of the display or when playing 4K video utilizing the full widescreen display. My monitor doesn't explicitly show quality values but I couldn't see a difference looking at the displays.
The M1 Pro supports 60Hz the Mini 6 only supports 30Hz, and you still could not tell the difference??

rmanbike

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009

XIO[-]OIX

Suspended
Feb 1, 2022
SO noone knows of supported resolutions? I want to buy a new monitor for my iPad specifically - and have no idea what resolution to hunt down for

Stuart in Oz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
SO noone knows of supported resolutions? I want to buy a new monitor for my iPad specifically - and have no idea what resolution to hunt down for

In the end I bought the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and tried it on my 27" 2560x1440 Dell. It is sharp and clear but is an exact mirror of the built-in display - so you get no more screen real estate, just a bigger version of what's on the ipad. But is is a good, sharp, bigger version.

EDIT - plus it pillar-boxes the monitor, as the iPad display is not as wide-screen.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
In the end I bought the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and tried it on my 27" 2560x1440 Dell. It is sharp and clear but is an exact mirror of the built-in display - so you get no more screen real estate, just a bigger version of what's on the ipad. But is is a good, sharp, bigger version.

EDIT - plus it pillar-boxes the monitor, as the iPad display is not as wide-screen.

I connected both my 2021 12.9 and Mini 6 to my LG 4K monitor - USB-C to USB-C - and could not subjectively tell a difference in the display quality. I don't have a way to show what the actual resolution is, though. Interesting side note: with the USB-C to USB-C connection, besides the expected side bars on the display, there are smaller bars top and bottom; the entire vertical display is not used. However, if I use USB-C to DisplayPort, the upper and lower bars are gone and the entire vertical display range is in use.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.