Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

overboord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Hi! I am looking to buy my first Macbook pro. I have searched the internet for days now, consulted the geniuses, but I still can't decide what is the right thing to do.
it could be that their similar threads about this around here..

Things that could help you help me:
- I am a designer
- I am thinking of buying refurbished
- my budget is around 1700
- I see this purchase as a long-term investment (maybe old is bad..?)
- application I use: Adobe Photoshop, -Illustrator, -InDesign, -Premiere, -After Effects, Autodesk Maya (3D), Ableton (and maybe in the future some CAD and SolidWorks)
- Some of these I want to use simultaneously (I opt for RAM 16gb instead of 8gb)
- If i buy a 13' I would connect it to a 27' screen when at home
- I like power over portability/sleekness.
- I live in Netherlands, Europe

This is the Macbook pro I want (love it):
15' Macbook pro Retina 2.2ghz i7 quad core, with 16gb ram (2014)
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/F...-22GHz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-Retina-Display

This is an offical Apple refurbished unit but unfortunately only available in de US... it seems...

Options that are available to me at this moment are:

13' Macbook pro Retina 2.9ghz i5 dual core, with 16gb ram (2015)
https://www.macbizz.com/nl/products...cBook-Pro-13-Retina-29-GHz-Core-i5-16GB-256GB

or
15' Macbook pro older version with pumped-up specs...

Questions I struggle with:
- Will a decent just released dual core i5 I do the job or do I need to have an quad core i7? (Which would be an older version due to my budget!)
- Is it an option to buy a refurbished one from 2012? Or is it to old... when thinking long-term
- other tips are super welcome

Thanks in advance!!

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Hi! I am looking to buy my first Macbook pro. I have searched the internet for days now, consulted the geniuses, but I still can't decide what is the right thing to do.

If this purchase is truly a long-term investment, I would highly recommend that you consider waiting for the 2016 MacBook Pro (March-June release?). The notebook is likely due for a true redesign that hasn't happened since 2012, along with faster Intel Skylake CPU architecture, Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C.

If you decide to buy a refurbished model now, the one you listed is certainly a good option for your budget. But if you want to save around an additional $500, I think even the Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.7GHz Dual-core Intel i5 with Retina Display for $1,099 USD can sufficiently handle running the Adobe suite and other apps you listed.

Reactions: michaelsviews

Aneef

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
Lahore, Pakistan

Things that could help you help me:
- I am a designer
- I am thinking of buying refurbished
- my budget is around 1700
- I see this purchase as a long-term investment (maybe old is bad..?)
- application I use: Adobe Photoshop, -Illustrator, -InDesign, -Premiere, -After Effects, Autodesk Maya (3D), Ableton (and maybe in the future some CAD and SolidWorks)
- Some of these I want to use simultaneously (I opt for RAM 16gb instead of 8gb)
- If i buy a 13' I would connect it to a 27' screen when at home
- I like power over portability/sleekness.
- I live in Netherlands, Europe

Wait if you can for the refreshed new model as said in the post above mine.
However, since you want to run design softwares, I'll recommend you not getting anything less than having 16 GB RAM. The 15" mid 2014 version having 2.2 GHz i7, 16GB RAM is a good option but its SSD is just 256 GB. Or wait for the newer models to come out, and then buy the 2015 15" version having 2.2 GHz i7 and 16 GB RAM as the prices will come down for the 2015 models after the new model is out.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
To be honest with your usage you want the quad core so a 15 inch is the way to go what you can afford and what is available to you will determine which year you get but a 15 inch seems a must.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Sometimes Apple (or other vendors do) offer(s) special financing conditions (e.g. 0% interest, leasing models). That way you could spread the payment over a longer period of time (and could probably deduct from taxes). With this model you could also opt for a new quad-core Skylake machine once they are out - or get a current 15" machine now with the specs you prefer, without being immediately held back by your budget.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Is this a business? If so maybe something could be worked out on a lease? You have the 2 week return period when buying any mac, and some stores allow up to a month. I've had that happen this past Christmas where we bought a refurbished system, and had to return it, when the return was generated if gave us an additional 2 weeks but that may have been because of the holidays. Do you OWN all the software listed? Each item should tell you the baseline of what specific system requirements are needed in order to run the program. Sitting behind a 13" all day doing CAD and graphics work is not something I've done, but would think that the 15" maybe better. You could sit and wait for Apple to release new products as already mentioned, thats a ways away and then when they release the new products its another month give or take for them items to actually hit the street. I'd go back to the apple store and use the item, they have adobe products installed on the systems here in the states and I know if you go into like our local store around 7PM till close you'd have NO problem with using a system for a while , also hit other apple stores and compare notes between the two.

Google is your friend and laptop reviews also will give you allot of good information

Good Luck

p.s. If you own all the programs you have listed than if you go 13" maybe this model a 256SSD maybe OK for you but if your creating large files in Photo shop or CAD work that space is going to disappear fast

Last edited:

overboord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Thanks to all for the quick responses. I had not considered waiting for a few more months on the new models arrival. It is clear to me that this would be my best option. The only problem is that I wil start my graduation internship within a few weeks and I don't think my current laptop will suffice.

Although I think a 13' would be fine because I was planning to buy an extra screen for home usages, it could be possible that I will be using my macbook more outdoors in the future (in some offices). Then maybe I will regret looking at a 13' screen all day...

I did call it a long term investment so maybe I have to act like it and throw in around 500 extra and go for the first tier 15' model (2015).
https://www.macbizz.com/nl/products...cBook-Pro-15-Retina-22-GHz-Core-i7-16GB-256GB
(with buying this open boxed one it would save me 170 euro.. worth it?)

Concerning the 256SSD. If I choose to buy the 15' (2015) model and the 256SSD would not suffice I think I could managed space for finished work with extra external HDD I already have (and some cloud storage). Then, in the future think of buying a NAS storage system(?)

(This is not for a business (jet). I can't say all of the programs mentioned are genuine, but most of them are. :s)

And thanks again!

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
13" rMBP is a good one for you. But Maya 3D, Adobe Premiere, and other heavyset apps will be benefit with quad core CPU than dual core that comes with 13" rMBP.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
The german online refurb store is full with 2014/2015 15" rMBP's machines today: Starting at 1.819€ for a 16GB/256GB 2014 model and 2.189€ for the cheapest 2015 model with 16GB/512GB. Attached the first 6 out of 10 machines on offer.

Generalüberholtes 15 MacBook Pro - Apple (DE) - Mozilla Firefox_2016-01-25_07-53-43.png

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Did you also consider a Windows machine? They usually make better single-purpose workstations than Macs, and many professional applications will be more stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.