Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfnode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
United Kingdom
Hello all, hope you're having a good weekend.

I have a question. I have a Hisense 4K tv with eARC and an LG SL8YG soundbar with ARC. I have previously either connected my HDMI devices into the TV (Apple TV 4K, PS5 and Nintendo Switch) and taken cable from the eARC port to the HDMI (ARC) input on the soundbar, or I have used an HDMI switch where I connect the above devices into, then take the output to the soundbar input and output from there to the TV.

With option 1 of plugging all devices into the TV, I've noticed about a second of audio lag which can be corrected but the lag can differ between devices.

I found that using the HDMI switch remedies this however, I have to use remotes to manually switch inputs.

With the above being the case, I am now looking at HDMI switches that allow automatic switching once a device is powered on or detects that another remote/controller has been selected.

Just thought Id post on here incase if anyone has any other recommendations. I'm not looking to purchase a new soundbar or anything however if anyone could recommend any HDMI switches from Amazon, that would be really helpful.

Only looking at ones that are capable of HDCP 2.2, HDR10, Dolby Atmos/Vision and 4K @ 60Hz.

Thanks!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Consider buying an A/V Receiver:
  • All HDMI connections into Receiver,
  • ONE HDMI OUT to TV,
  • HDMI out of TV eArc to soundbar.
Receivers are made for this kind of stuff and much more (far superior to HDMI switches). IMO, a good Receiver should generally be the "central hub" for most A/V setups. Among many other benefits, the Receiver will be "smart" enough to handle audio delays for the various devices BEFORE the output sends the signal to the TV (and then the soundbar).

It's somewhat overkill for only a soundbar setup, but it could become the basis for a full 5.1 (or better) "surround sound" setup with a dedicated center channel stepping in for the soundbar. In this case, there is no eArc from TV as you would export audio to each speaker from the Receiver itself. If you opt to go this way eventually, perhaps repurpose the soundbar for another room or even as a music-only speaker in a bedroom (I have a Sonos ARC soundbar purely for music in a bedroom- sounds great in there).

A good receiver will cost less than a single iPhone but probably deliver well for 10+ years (unlike that iPhone). Budget accordingly and you can get a LOT of value out of < iPhone money... and long useful life too.

Last edited:

moyjoy

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2019
New York
Hello all, hope you're having a good weekend.

I have a question. I have a Hisense 4K tv with eARC and an LG SL8YG soundbar with ARC. I have previously either connected my HDMI devices into the TV (Apple TV 4K, PS5 and Nintendo Switch) and taken cable from the eARC port to the HDMI (ARC) input on the soundbar, or I have used an HDMI switch where I connect the above devices into, then take the output to the soundbar input and output from there to the TV.

With option 1 of plugging all devices into the TV, I've noticed about a second of audio lag which can be corrected but the lag can differ between devices.

I found that using the HDMI switch remedies this however, I have to use remotes to manually switch inputs.

With the above being the case, I am now looking at HDMI switches that allow automatic switching once a device is powered on or detects that another remote/controller has been selected.

Just thought Id post on here incase if anyone has any other recommendations. I'm not looking to purchase a new soundbar or anything however if anyone could recommend any HDMI switches from Amazon, that would be really helpful.

Only looking at ones that are capable of HDCP 2.2, HDR10, Dolby Atmos/Vision and 4K @ 60Hz.

Thanks!
Does your soundbar have an app? I have a Sonos soundbar and the app has a section where you can manually fix that timing delay.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.