Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
What is the best thing to use to clean the screen on a MBP? I have some "screen cleaner" wipe towel packets, they seem to have alcohol on them, so just wondering if they are safe to use on it.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Apple's instructions are very correct. I only use pre-moistened screen wipes like these and I do it as rarely as possible. You can find products like this at Amazon or office supply stores.

Reactions: NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Apple's instructions are very correct. I only use pre-moistened screen wipes like these and I do it as rarely as possible.

This. Clean microfiber is usually good enough for me.

Otherwise I will use microfiber with lens cleaner that is coated lens safe. Also have a ton of these that I bought some time ago for dirt cheap:

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
This. Clean microfiber is usually good enough for me.

Otherwise I will use microfiber with lens cleaner that is coated lens safe. Also have a ton of these that I bought some time ago for dirt cheap:

I think that's the ones I have or something very similar

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
DON'T "clean the screen" too much.
This is intended as a serious reply.

The display surface is quite fragile, it uses a "sprayed-on" coating for the anti-glare protection.

Just about ANYTHING you do to the display surface is going to start to "wear upon" the sprayed on coating, and... have the potential to start wearing it OFF.

Hence, the term called "StainGate" where the anti-glare coating starts flaking off in patches.

I use a soft cloth, and just "brush across" the surface of the display (no downward pressure) to remove dust.

If something won't come off, a little water, VERY LITTLE pressure to dislodge it, then "dust dry".

NO ALCOHOL.

The best way to keep the display in good shape is to not get it dirty in the first place.
For some, this may actually involve behavioral changes...

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
it stays pretty clean for the most part, main issue is dog nose prints, especially at times with thunderstorms, he is usually sitting on me in the recliner while I monitor weather radar for my storm team like last night. but yeah only have used a soft cloth with a little water dampness, kinda didn't think the "lens" towel things could be good for it when they smell like they have alcohol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.