Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hey guys, I am wondering what kind of computer to buy (Mac of course.) What I do is some video, messing around with Photos, Word, Powerpoint, probly FCP3, and heavy gaming. We have a business that does hard core video streaming, and it will probly be used there to. Here are my choices.

1) I was thinking at first a 933 MHz G4 with 1 Gig RAM. I have 150 dollars to best buy, so I could buy a Maxtor 80Gig 7200 RPM Drive to go along with it. I would probly buy this from the Apple EDU store, I am looking to spend around 2400 dollars.

2) An iMac with 1Gig RAM, and 3yr Apple Warranty. Maybe some little add-ons, nothing major.

3) A DP800 I would buy either off of Ebay, or from the http://www.g4store.com. I have a couple monitors at my home, so I would get a nice one a few months later.

4) MAYBE a lowered DP 1GHz with a cheapo monitor. No extras, I would just buy them as I go along. This machine would last me a VERY VERY long time.

Your thoughts? :confused: :rolleyes:

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
DP 800

hmm.. i would choose the DP 800... mainly because you want to use FCP. FCP would be heavily using the proccesors, so it would be better to get the DP 800 rather than the 933. Also, buying extra add-ons would be better rather than spending it all on the DP 1gig.

irmongoose

shergar

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2002
London
Forget the iMac. As beautiful a machine as it is. With only a 5400 rpm drive it simply isn't up to any major video editing.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by shergar
Forget the iMac. As beautiful a machine as it is. With only a 5400 rpm drive it simply isn't up to any major video editing.

The 5400 drive should be plenty for DV...

Digital Video has a fixed bitrate... which most modern drives can exceed easily.

arn

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
The bitrate stuff may be true, but I know that 7200rpm v. 5400rpm drives are around 1/3rd faster overall for everything, so this would directly relate to you're recording digital video. Also, why is it that all of the FCP, Media 100 or Avid ( I think) systems have at least 10,000rpm IDE harddrives, or SCSIs? Not one professional I've ever seen uses a 5400rpm drive for video.

-Pete

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I would go with either the 933MHz or dual 1GHz towers. I also would NOT buy any computer, or computer item, from ebay. You NEVER know what you are buying until it arrives. Much better off getting the computer from an authorized Apple reseller.

You mentioned that you have some monitors, so just use one of those, until you decide if you really need another one. I have found that a good 19" screen is ideal for home use. The same can be said for my ViewSonic VG175 lcd. If you intend to use the computer for extended periods, then I would suggest getting the lcd screen. Either from Apple, or a ViewSonic. I purchased my VG175 for under $900 and it has a larger area then Apple's 17". I believe that you can get one of their VG181 screens (18.1" lcd) for about $1000. I had one of those at work, and with the resolutions, it had more viewable real estate then a 21" crt.

Also, I found that eye strain from the lcd's is practically nill.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Princeton Graphics

My dad has a Princeton Graphics 18.1 inch LCD. It is a realy nice monitor. We know w guy that works for Princeton, so he could get me one for about 450 dollars.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
DP 800

Dude, get the Dual 800 and you should be happy. First of all the iMac, no matter what they put in it is a consumer computer. You dont get all the expandability that you'll get with a tower. Dont get it off ebay though. since you dont need a monitor you'll have more money to get RAM and more HD. and that'll be so nice...

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
I say Dual 800 as well. Since you want the thing to last, DPs are going to essential as they become more common and more software is written for them... Get it from Apple Edu if possible, not from eBay.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: NOOO!!!

Originally posted by Mac_User
http://www.g4store.com is sold out of the DP800!!! Where should I buy it from? You guys say ebay is out, so could you give me some Apple resellar? I cant think of any other places...:(

I could turn u onto the guy my company buys from as well as myself....

but he's local here in New Orleans....

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Re: Re: NOOO!!!

Originally posted by eyelikeart

I could turn u onto the guy my company buys from as well as myself....

but he's local here in New Orleans....

Could you do that? Would he ship to California? What kind of price would he have? If you could find anything out, that would be sooo great:D

I saw Nipsys post, and I think thats a pretty good deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.