Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthony131

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2021
I dropped my phone on the edge of my iPad causing the lower half of the screen to crack. The crack isn't terribly noticeable and the whole screen is usable with fingers. Although, I just discovered that the pencil no longer works on the cracked section.

It looks like a new screen from Apple is $500. Apple also says the trade in value (in good condition) is $455. The iPad was $800 brand new and it's selling for around $550 on eBay.

I kind of feel like this is just trash at this point. Even if I sold it for $100, the buyer would have to either use it with a cracked screen or get it fixed for more than it's worth.

Looking for some thoughts on what options I might have.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I dropped my phone on the edge of my iPad causing the lower half of the screen to crack. The crack isn't terribly noticeable and the whole screen is usable with fingers. Although, I just discovered that the pencil no longer works on the cracked section.

It looks like a new screen from Apple is $500. Apple also says the trade in value (in good condition) is $455. The iPad was $800 brand new and it's selling for around $550 on eBay.

I kind of feel like this is just trash at this point. Even if I sold it for $100, the buyer would have to either use it with a cracked screen or get it fixed for more than it's worth.

Looking for some thoughts on what options I might have.
Wait for the new iPad Pro to come out in a few days and just buy that.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Well, yeah. That's a given. Any thoughts on what I should do with this one? Trash it?

Even if the screen was totally trashed and the case bent. You'll still get over $200 for it. Just sell it as "For parts or not working". Give good pictures but don't go into the whole screen sort of works. Just say it boots, unlocks and you dropped your phone on it. As you don't want to set unreasonable expectations. Giving an opening for a not as described return.

Here is an example in way worse condition which sold recently for $235. If it got $235. You'll likely get more. As people will want it for everything else that works. Such as for replacing the logicboard and other secure enclave parts after a liquid spill.

Then they can screw around with trying to replace the digitizer glass. Which runs about $80. If you want to try it yourself. There's probably repair shops around you. Which'll do it for about $150. Non-Apple authorized repair shops that fix phones and such that is.

Just note these aren't Apple authorized digitizers. They may be genuine unauthorized parts smuggled from the manufacturers who make them for Apple. They may also be knock off replacements. So, quality will vary.

Reactions: anthony131

anthony131

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2021
Even if the screen was totally trashed and the case bent. You'll still get over $200 for it. Just sell it as "For parts or not working". Give good pictures but don't go into the whole screen sort of works. Just say it boots, unlocks and you dropped your phone on it. As you don't want to set unreasonable expectations. Giving an opening for a not as described return.

Here is an example in way worse condition which sold recently for $235. If it got $235. You'll likely get more. As people will want it for everything else that works. Such as for replacing the logicboard and other secure enclave parts after a liquid spill.

Then they can screw around with trying to replace the digitizer glass. Which runs about $80. If you want to try it yourself. There's probably repair shops around you. Which'll do it for about $150. Non-Apple authorized repair shops that fix phones and such that is.

Just note these aren't Apple authorized digitizers. They may be genuine unauthorized parts smuggled from the manufacturers who make them for Apple. They may also be knock off replacements. So, quality will vary.
I looked up local repair shops and got quoted around $350 - maybe they're using real parts?

I'm shocked that that iPad sold for $235. I might do that. Thanks!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I looked up local repair shops and got quoted around $350 - maybe they're using real parts?

I'm shocked that that iPad sold for $235. I might do that. Thanks!
They might be selling the whole screen. As trying to replace the digitizer/glass is more work and more prone to failure. Although it could be a knockoff screen. Which may not look as good.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
AFAIK, Apple do not sell spare screens to the repair shops. Third party vendors may try to source similar parts from either the original screen OEM (e.g. Samsung, LG) or different knock-off lower quality compatible parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.