Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Holmes89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I have already decided that I'm going to buy a Black Macbook and a STM Rogue laptop bag. I want to know what else I need. I'm going to college in the fall and want to know what else I need. I currently have: 160 gig WD Hard drive, planning on upgrading RAM (any suggestions), and I don't need software because my college is nice enough to give it to me for free (XP and Mac Office). So what do you suggest that I need to get still?

MacDaddy08

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
If you are going to upgrade the RAM then I would recommend maxing it out and doing it yourself. Apple charges way to much for it. Get your memory from Crucial and install it. It is very easy. I would also recommend upgrading to a 7200 RPM hard drive. That increases performace a lot and is much faster than the 5400 RPM models. Which is another extremely easy upgrade. External mouse is a good idea, the wireless mighty mouse is great. Make sure you get a palm rest cover to protect beside the trackpad. Marware makes a good one. Hard casing for the outside is also a good idea to keep it scratch free. The Macbook comes with 2 USB ports so a hub might not be necessary. If you only have a external HD than you really don't need one. You will still have one extra for anything else. If i think of anything else, I will update.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Other options for palmrests are from bestskinsever.com (they make full-bosy protection too if you want something less obvious than a hard shell that'll protect against scratches) or moshi. I agree that a USB hub is helpful, especially since my 320gb external HDD requires 2 ports, so if you get a bigger one it might as well.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
You probably...

are going to need Pages, Keynote, or Office:Mac 2008 w/Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Entourage, a nice set of headphones, an updated iTunes account, a printer, external hard drive at least 500GB, a portable external hard drive at least 120GB, a jump drive at least 4GB-8GB, two bottles of iKlear, a matching iPodTouch or iPhone, AppleCare Protection Plan, and a "0" balance credit card with a $10,000 limit! Good Luck. :cool::p

Holmes89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Well should I get an extra portable hard drive? What mouse would be best?

I really don't need to worry about software because I already get office for free. Oh and I'm planning on buying an iPod with a hopeful back to school campaign so I'm excited about that, any suggestions, I have a lot of music (more than 10 gigs) so I was thinking a classic.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
Stick with the iPod 80GB Black or White...

Well should I get an extra portable hard drive? What mouse would be best?

I really don't need to worry about software because I already get office for free. Oh and I'm planning on buying an iPod with a hopeful back to school campaign so I'm excited about that, any suggestions, I have a lot of music (more than 10 gigs) so I was thinking a classic.

and consider getting some movies (MP4) for the commute. If you have one portable hard drive you should be OK, but if it's already formatted for PC, then I would recommend that you get one specifically formatted for Mac, (maybe someone else can shed some light on that situation, since my wife has a DELL work computer and she cannot backup to our external 500GB Seagate, since it's being used by our Mac computers). I use the Mini Optical Mouse (Capgemini Logo - I received it as a prize at a golf tournament. see attached photo) and it is definitely the smallest and lightest mouse I've ever used. It fits perfectly in my Higher Ground "LapTrap" backpack. I enjoy the right click and its' scrolling capability and the fact that I can use my trousers as a mousepad! Keep us posted! :cool:

Attachments

• Mini Optical Mouse.jpg
    Mini Optical Mouse.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 73

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
The Kensington bluetooth mouse in that pic is on sale at buy.com for like $17, with $10 off for a new google checkout account, I'm thinking about ordering. Do you like it? I really want a bt mouse so it won't take up one of my limited USB ports.

J.Dean

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
So true

are going to need Pages, Keynote, or Office:Mac 2008 w/Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Entourage, a nice set of headphones, an updated iTunes account, a printer, external hard drive at least 500GB, a portable external hard drive at least 120GB, a jump drive at least 4GB-8GB, two bottles of iKlear, a matching iPodTouch or iPhone, AppleCare Protection Plan, and a "0" balance credit card with a $10,000 limit! Good Luck. :cool::p

lol, how true are your words!!! One Apple product begets another, and before long accessories become necessities.

Holmes89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
haha I'm a little confused about hard drives. Should I purchase an external hard drive in additions to my portable hard drive? I would like to utilize time machine but I don't think 160 gigs is going to cut it, am I right? or would i be better off buying a time capsule? (to keep back at my dorm) Oh and I don't need to worry about headphones, I got a pair of Bose for Christmas which are really nice, so there is another question I'm planning on reripping all of my music onto the new machine for my new iPod that I hopefully will be getting, any suggestions for the best format (because my new headphones pick up a lot and the quality distinction is surprising)

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
I use the Kensington BT Mouse...

The Kensington bluetooth mouse in that pic is on sale at buy.com for like $17, with $10 off for a new google checkout account, I'm thinking about ordering. Do you like it? I really want a bt mouse so it won't take up one of my limited USB ports.

as a back up, and it acts up way too much for my comfort zone. Cuts out and you have to reset several times during the day and it is heavy as hell, (not sure how heavy hell really is) and it takes 2 AA batteries, just adding to the weight. But I like the fact that I can use it on my trousers during the long BART Train ride, where there is no table top or desk to scroll. I have a USB 2.0 Hub that has six additional ports. :cool:

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
Definitely an...

haha I'm a little confused about hard drives. Should I purchase an external hard drive in additions to my portable hard drive? I would like to utilize time machine but I don't think 160 gigs is going to cut it, am I right? or would i be better off buying a time capsule? (to keep back at my dorm) Oh and I don't need to worry about headphones, I got a pair of Bose for Christmas which are really nice, so there is another question I'm planning on reripping all of my music onto the new machine for my new iPod that I hopefully will be getting, any suggestions for the best format (because my new headphones pick up a lot and the quality distinction is surprising)

500GB external hard drive, since 120GB is a great size for on the go external hard drive. You are going to want something for the time machine back-up and something to put all your music and videos on and rotate them from iPod/iPhone to MB to external hard drive. Best format for your music is your call, I'm not too picky about my iPhone music or movies. You can transfer everything from your current iPod/MP3 player with a few click-drag-releases. Keep us posted and PM if you like. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.