Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trichotillo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Hi all, new Macbook owner here (white Penryn 2.4). I've been a Windows sufferer for a long time and I finally saw the light. Anyway, what essential applications do you suggest I put on my MacBook?

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2006
Quicksilver (app launcher)
Adium (AIM/gchat client)
Firefox
VLC (media player)
Flip4MacWMV

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Hi all, new Macbook owner here (white Penryn 2.4). I've been a Windows sufferer for a long time and I finally saw the light. Anyway, what essential applications do you suggest I put on my MacBook?

Other than what others wrote:
Menu Meters, AppZapper, Hand Brake for ripping stuff,RSS Owl, License Keeper, Pastor,and I prefer Apples Safari web browser, Safari AdBlock or better yet Pith Helmet.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I always find these posts silly, like everyone uses their computers for the same things, but here goes.

What you really need to do is make a list of what you used your Win PC for. Write down all the applications you used. Then come back here with the list and ask people to give you a Mac alternative.

Also, you can look at places like http://osx.iusethis.com/ for things you might think are "handy".

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I've found that Firefox is better than Safari (even with the new Safari update). Also, I suggest MonoLingual. You can get rid of all the languages that you don't need on your computer. It freed up about 5GB on my MacBook.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
The best way to keep your Mac from becoming cluttered like your Windows PC is to install lots of random programs suggested by strangers on the internet who won't have to use your computer.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Here is my current application list:

A52 Universal Sound Codec (For use with AC3 sound encoded videos)
Adobe Photoshop CS3 - You know
Azureus - Torrents
Crossover - Run Steam and a couple other windows apps
Firefox - In case I can't run something with Safari
Handbrake - Conversion from DVD to MP4 etc...
InsomniaX - Keeps your screen on when you close lid
Limewire - P2P
MactheRipper - Ripping from DVD to Video_TS folder
MS Office 2008 - You know
Perian 1.1 - All in one video codec
Roxio Toast Titanium 8 - Burning software to burn ISOs, Bins, etc.
Skype - Video Conference
Turbo Tax - Taxes
UnRarX - Zip/Rar utility
Visual Hub - Any type video conversion (ex. avi to mp4, mp4 to avi, etc..)
VMWare Fusion - Virtual Machine Emulation for Windows
Wavepad - Good basic sound editor
WM Components (Flip4Mac) - Codec for .wmv and a few other extensions
XBench - Simple benchmarking program

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
WORDS OF FALSIFICATION!!!!

naw jk i just like safari, although Firefox is a very good browser (hell of a lot better than IE7)

I should have clarified. I don't think there's a browser I don't like. For what I use the internet for, any browser would work for me. I like Safari and I don't mind IE. However, what I've found is that Firefox loads the fastest - so that is the sole factor on which browser I use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.