Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfinity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2023
So my job is purchasing a new machine for me next month and I've been looking into what to get. We use Apple products and even before they announced the new Studio at WWDC a few days ago I knew I was going to be getting a Mac Studio. I'm gonna max out the new M2 Ultra chip and (due to budget constraints) do a one tier upgrade of either the Unified Memory to 128GB or the Storage to 2TB. I work in video production and the main applications I use are Premiere and After Effects. Suggestions on what I should go with?

N9JIG

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2019
SW USA
Figure out how much RAM you NEED, multiply that by at least 2 and get that. Then see how much you have left in the budget and buy as much on-board storage as you can. Like "temende" said above, it is easy (and cheaper) to add additional external storage, especially for a desktop system like the Studio.

I splurged for the extra storage space on my MBP last year as it is less elegant to do so externally, I had anticipated using it mobile much more than I ended up doing. Had I known I would have save the thousand dollars and got the 1TB SSD rather than the 4 I got and offloaded my files to an external drive.

I ay be replacing my desktop solution with a Studio soon and my plans are 64GB of RAM and 2 TB of storage, it should be more than enough for me.

Reactions: AlphaCentauri

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
It's obviously true that you can expand storage externally but the fact remains that Apple's internal storage is screaming fast compared to even the fastest external alternatives. Go 2TB minimum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.