Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Many manufacturers who sell these one-sided open keychain holders tell you to insert the AirTag with the Apple Logo facing out.

I just received my first AirTag yesterday and had it engraved with my name. So, it makes sense that side should be facing out. You want to advertise your engraving.

However, is that technically the side that manufacturers want you to have facing out, or do they want the metal bottom facing out?

I know it's a silly question but I suppose I am not certain that if I had not engraved this, there would be an Apple logo where the engraving is.

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
Many manufacturers who sell these one-sided open keychain holders tell you to insert the AirTag with the Apple Logo facing out.

I just received my first AirTag yesterday and had it engraved with my name. So, it makes sense that side should be facing out. You want to advertise your engraving.

However, is that technically the side that manufacturers want you to have facing out, or do they want the metal bottom facing out?

I know it's a silly question but I suppose I am not certain that if I had not engraved this, there would be an Apple logo where the engraving is.
That’s why you get an Apple one. I’m not trying to be silly but it’s true. Manufacturers simple want to make something cheap as possible and sell as many as possible. But Apple understands that when you make something beautiful and designed right people will buy it too. Apples keychains show both sides, because they designed it that way.. You want something to work, pay for the design. You want something cheap, don’t expect everything you want. Design 101 I’m afraid.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
That’s why you get an Apple one. I’m not trying to be silly but it’s true. Manufacturers simple want to make something cheap as possible and sell as many as possible. But Apple understands that when you make something beautiful and designed right people will buy it too. Apples keychains show both sides, because they designed it that way.. You want something to work, pay for the design. You want something cheap, don’t expect everything you want. Design 101 I’m afraid.

I understand your point, but you do realize that third-party manufacturers also make keychains that are open on both sides.

I review products for Amazon Vine so this one was offered to me with little choice.

I simply don't understand if technically either side of the AirTag should be covered inside a case. And, if one side is supposed to be exposed, which side is it?

Reactions: OBirder

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
If engraved, white side facing out, otherwise stainless steel side facing out.

994E4158-890C-4A08-AB89-78CEA217162F.jpeg
AA483001-8765-4156-985E-CBA213C81BA0.jpeg

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
I understand your point, but you do realize that third-party manufacturers also make keychains that are open on both sides.

I review products for Amazon Vine so this one was offered to me with little choice.

I simply don't understand if technically either side of the AirTag should be covered inside a case. And, if one side is supposed to be exposed, which side is it?

Yes it would be interesting have more info on the technical side e.g. detectable distance.

From a practical perspective I prefer one with only one side visible and even without engraving use the white (neutral) side. Don’t need to draw more attention by showing off a shiny Apple logo. As less noticeable they are, the better.

Reactions: NJRonbo

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Definitely plastic side, as that's the side with the speaker. Flip it around and the sound is muffled on some cases.

Edit: Just did a test using my Apple Watch's sound meter. Holding the tag about two inches from the watch, in a silicone keychain with one side open. Plastic side out: 80 db. Plastic side in: 68 db. Since the db scale is logarithmic, that means it's over 10 times louder with the plastic side out than in.

Last edited:
Reactions: SBlue1 and TinyChip

nasso

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2024
Sorry about "necroing" this old thread, but I found it when looking for the answer for this, and I did some testing after reading here. I wanted to share my findings.

I have a wallet with an air tag. It is a rossm, similar to a ridge wallet. Basically, two carbon fiber plates that you sandwich your cards in between.

The air tag holder goes on the outside. This means that one of the sides of it faces the carbon fiber plats, and the other doesn't.

I mounted it with the silver side out. I have had problems with bad reception since the beginning. Occasional warnings about me leaving the wallet behind when I was carrying it in my backpack and so on.

When trying out the detection range at home, it was very choppy. The signal was dropping in and out and only became "reliable" when I was very close (something like sub 5 meters) and showing direction only when I was basically on top of it (~ 1 meter).

I now tested to flip the air tag to the white side out. It was a huge improvement. It detected it with a steady signal from where I started walking closer to it (around 10 meters). Got directions around 8 meters.

Time will tell if I will get less "you left your wallet behind" notifications.

White side out seems to be preferred signal-wise, at least. My case with a carbon fiber plate (and metal) on one side of the air tag might be a bit extreme though. I have no idea if it matters at all for a keychain holder made out of plastic, leather, or anything like that.

I think my findings, combined with the sound level testing above gives a clear answer: white side out.

Reactions: seinman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.