Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teamzissou00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
I searched for similar topics and found none.

I have an iphone 5s work phone that only has 16 gb (10 or so i can use). i'm always hovering around 2-3gb free. My concern is that the apple watch apps could fill up a lot of that free space since they have to be housed on the phone i think. If the american express phone app is 50mb and i already have it (and there was an apple watch update) - will there be additional storage requirements on the phone when i go to the apple watch store?

thoughts?

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
If you've updated the app to the latest version you already "have" the apple watch app. I'm assuming the the Apple Watch App Store is just going to link to apps already in the App Store with Watch support. Many apps have already updated for Watch support.

bruceabbott

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2015
Most of the application will be stored on the phone. I believe apple are allowing certain assets to be preloaded to the watch such as images for the GUI. The contextual information and heavy lifting is all processed on the phone and sent to your watch.

Edit: To answer your question... applications will probably take up mere megabytes on your device until native applications are allowed to run on the watch without the phone.

BigMovieGeek

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
I was watching a workshop hosted by Instagram the other day and I'm pretty sure they said the limit was 20mb, so it shouldn't be too much of a burden on your free space.

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
I think OP is right, the size of apps on the phone is going up with Apple Watch. The iphone side Apple Watch extension is always included in the iphone app, whether you use the watch or not. If you pair a watch, the watch pieces will be loaded on the watch, but are still part of the iphone app as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.