Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Highdom_MAc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
I've got an iMac 21.5 Late 2012 with an HDD 5400 rpm (soo bad!). I usually use audio editing and music production softwares. I need an upgrade to a SSD.

Could you advice me some models with a good quality-price ratio?

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
Get a 512gig ssd to use inside your computer. Any 2.5 inch ssd will work but many will suggest the Samnsun 850 Evo series. Then get an external harddrive to use for bulk media storage.

Go HERE for more info on how to do this yourself. If you're uneasy looking at this then I suggest finding someone who knows what they're doing, it's not crazy hard but if you're not technically inclined, you can break stuff.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Alternatively you can use any SATA SSD externally via a USB 3 dock as your boot drive, then use the internal HDD as additional storage. It'll be almost as quick as fitting internally and it saves the belly-ache of ripping apart your iMac.

Highdom_MAc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Are you planning to buy an external SSD or an internal one?
Internal one.
Get a 512gig ssd to use inside your computer. Any 2.5 inch ssd will work but many will suggest the Samnsun 850 Evo series. Then get an external harddrive to use for bulk media storage.
yes, i've seen lot of people has the Samsung 840 Evo SSD inside their iMac. Any other models? Just to be different ahah

I'm going to ask to a shop in my city, they are good

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
Personally, I'd pay the extra few bucks and get the rock solid reliable Samsung. There's plenty of companies that make them, I just don't want a 2-3 thousand dollar machine and to have my biggest weak point to be a cheapy ssd I bought to save ten bucks you know?

Highdom_MAc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Personally, I'd pay the extra few bucks and get the rock solid reliable Samsung. There's plenty of companies that make them, I just don't want a 2-3 thousand dollar machine and to have my biggest weak point to be a cheapy ssd I bought to save ten bucks you know?
Of course...so what model do you recommend? 840 Evo?

billyturtle

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
I just replaced the HDD in my 2010 21.5 iMac last night.

I went with the OWC kit. Blazing fast machine now. Probably added 2-3 years of life to my machine.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Samsung 850 evo is the best drive you can get right now for a reasonable price. If you can afford it go with the Samsung 850 Pro for faster write speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.