Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

divergirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
If I add up all of the individual categories under Usage I get around 4.7 GB. But the total for Usage says 6.7 GB used. What things take up this space? Just curious since a 2 GB discrepancy seems quite large when you have a 16 GB device. :apple:

divergirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
For starters - the operating system.

Oh, really? I figured the decreased total overall was due to the operating system. It says there is 12.8 gigs of possible space, of which I have used 6.7 gigs. Does the operating system take more space than the 3.2 gigs of "hidden space" that is not listed in the total? Out of the 12.8 gigs possible, it says I have used 6.7 gigs, only 4.7 of which can be accounted for by adding up the individual categories.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Oh, really? I figured the decreased total overall was due to the operating system. It says there is 12.8 gigs of possible space, of which I have used 6.7 gigs. Does the operating system take more space than the 3.2 gigs of "hidden space" that is not listed in the total? Out of the 12.8 gigs possible, it says I have used 6.7 gigs, only 4.7 of which can be accounted for by adding up the individual categories.

The OS takes about 1.2 gigs (depending on device). The gigs you are given are not exactly as shown on the box. There are two ways of measuring. Either a gig is 1024 mb's or 1000. In the case of every product sold, they use about 1000.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.